Cargo Cover Worthwhile??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I'd like to have a cargo cover so that thieves aren't tempted by the bags I have in the back. But $150 doesn't seem worth it.

Those of you with a cargo cover--does it work well? DOes it get in the way?

My 2012 SV didn't come with a cargo cover as standard so it's one of the first accessories I bought for it. Yes it's worth it, again just to keep prying eyes out of your trunk. Of course it won't stop a determined thief who just saw you put your laptop in the trunk.

Like any other cargo area cover that is not of the roll-up type, there are straps that cause it to open with the hatch lid. It's very easy to undo those. Removing it is a different matter, with the easiest method requiring that you fold the back seats down and removing/inserting it from the interior of the car.

I kept the cargo cover when I gave the car back to Nissan, I'll need to put it up for sale one of these days.

PianoAl said:
I'd like to have a cargo cover so that thieves aren't tempted by the bags I have in the back. But $150 doesn't seem worth it.

Those of you with a cargo cover--does it work well? DOes it get in the way?
Shop around to find a better price, dealers charge way too much. It is just a simple platform that snaps in, uses the hatch door to life it up so you can put stuff under neath. Makes a great shelf for the back to if you need a quick place to stash small items without opening the hatch. I've found it to be very useful for both, keeping some privacy and making a back shelf if needed. Even if you put so much in the back that it can't close down, the way it is shaped will still let the rear hatch close without hitting the cover. It was actually quite easy for me to remove and install without doing anything to the back seats, it has visual instructions right on the under side of it to show the best way to snap it in or out as needed.

If you decide to get it, consider getting the cargo net (if you can find it cheap), it is another item that anyone can install and even though the net isn't huge by any standards, it is handy when you want to keep some small items from rolling/moving/tipping around in the back (like 2 gallons of milk for example).

Yes, removing the cover is easy. No need to fold the seatbacks down or touch them at all.

Follow the written instruction in the Owner Manual of positioning it parallel to the seatbacks (in the same vertical plane) then move the r.h.s. a bit towards you and lift it out.

As mentioned, graphics on the underside of the cover if you are good with Ikea type no words instructions (I'm not).

My car didnt come with one but I did find a good deal at a pick-and-pull. I bought it to keep light items (such as empty reusable shopping bags) in the trunk. Without it, I couldn't open the car windows without something flying out of the car.

I am glad I bought it

YMMV

RonDawg said:
My 2012 SV didn't come with a cargo cover as standard so it's one of the first accessories I bought for it. Yes it's worth it, again just to keep prying eyes out of your trunk. Of course it won't stop a determined thief who just saw you put your laptop in the trunk.

Like any other cargo area cover that is not of the roll-up type, there are straps that cause it to open with the hatch lid. It's very easy to undo those.
Yep. Even the '13 SV and S didn't come with it. I bought it from the parts department of the dealer I leased the car from. Maybe this was a way of throwing a bone over to the dealer for other lost revenues.

Yes, it's totally worth it for the above reason. Otherwise, anything in the hatch area will be easily visible from the outside.
RonDawg said:
I kept the cargo cover when I gave the car back to Nissan, I'll need to put it up for sale one of these days.
I kept mine too and moved it over to my used black interior '13 SV, which also didn't come with it.

I still am looking for someone in the Bay Area, hopefully South Bay who can swap covers w/me. I want to swap my cover (intended for the light interior) for a cover intended for a black interior.

Just purchased and installed a cargo cover (black) on my 2016 SV. It appears to be made of a felt-covered vacuum formed plastic. Installation was literally a snap following the pictorial instructions provided on the underside. I found that initially it wouldn't settle onto the level support stops due to a bit of a spring-fit and rattle-reducing felt bumpers. Lightly pressing down would solve this, but when attached to the hatchback with the included lanyards, it would lay just out of level when closed. After leaving the cargo cover pressed down to the stops overnight, it conformed and complied with my wishes. Now it lowers to the stops by itself when the hatch is closed.

I'm glad I added it to my car. It should help keep prying eyes out of the cargo area when parked in public, as well as any items I store in the cargo area should stay a bit cooler on warm days.

On a related subject, I also just added the cargo organizer. There are many things to like about it, and a couple of disappointments. The cargo organizer hasn't been updated to use the space formerly occupied by the on-board charger "hump" behind the back seats. As such it leaves a significant gap. I might craft an additional felt-covered hinged panel to bridge that gap. I do like the level load floor, ample storage for the L1 EVSE, grocery bag hooks, and waterproof bins for wet/dirty items such as plants from the home center. It's easy enough to remove, but bulky to store. I'd actually rather Nissan had implemented a dual-level load floor like the MB B250 does. Maybe I'll build something like that someday, but for now this adds some significant organizational utility.

gshepherd said:
On a related subject, I also just added the cargo organizer. There are many things to like about it, and a couple of disappointments. The cargo organizer hasn't been updated to use the space formerly occupied by the on-board charger "hump" behind the back seats. As such it leaves a significant gap..

Wouldn't taking advantage of that space interfere with the Bose unit on Premium Package-equipped cars?

RonDawg said:
Wouldn't taking advantage of that space interfere with the Bose unit on Premium Package-equipped cars?

Possibly. The BOSE bass module indeed is in that space (mine has it), but only a few inches high. With how non-directional bass is, the bins could be molded to go up and over the bass module, while leaving a small vent on the left side if needed. The key would be to avoid creating a resonance vibration.

The bins came in useful today as a bottle of Invisible Glass cleaner leaked while driving over a small mountain pass. All the mess was contained within the bin.

I've got the cargo cover, but one of the pegs which holds it in place (rear right peg, not the one on the door but the one near the seat) broke off (small kid leaning on the cover b/c they were trying to climb onto it). Now the peg is gone and I need to replace it. I'm going to craft one out of wood, but has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of problem? The peg seems to be integrated to the plastic interior side panel and can't be independently repaired without some kid of ghetto jury-rigged solution (which is what I'm going to do)...

Back