Kosei 15" rims fit over front brake calipers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taloyd

Does anybody know if either the discontinued Kosei K1 or the current Kosei K4R fit over the Leaf brake calipers? I assume the 16" do, but would prefer 15" for the weight savings (the K1 is 13 lbs. and the K4R is under 11). Shot a question to Tirerack as they have The Database of Concrete Answers but am unsure if they'll respond.

Cheers,
Tal

Most 16" rims will fit (although some high-offset ones won't!), but I'm hoping that either the super light Kosei K4R (under 11 lbs.!) will clear the giant Leaf brake calipers, or the still lightweight 13.5 lbs. Kosei K1 will. The reason a 15" is preferable to a 16" is that 15" tires (for the same outside diameter) are lighter than 16" (the lightest I've seen is 18 lbs. for LRR tires vs. >20 lbs. for 16"), and so there's further weight savings. Plus the weight is distributed more evenly throughout the radius for less flywheel effect (worst case scenario are huge rims with thin tires).

So on paper, if 15" Kosei K4R fit, it would be just shy of 29 lbs. total for the rim/tire combination vs. around 42 for the factory rim/tire (roughly 21 rim and 21 tire). That should not be an insignificant difference.

The big advantage of 16" is they look slightly nicer and I wouldn't need new tires... yet.

Cheers,
Tal

Honda Civic Hybrid OEM 15" fit on the Leaf after widening the center bore by 2mm. I'm guessing most any 15" rims will if the center bore and offset are right.

Back