Simple DRL retrofit (preferably with LED parking/running or fog lights)??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLeafEV

I found this link for LED Fog Light Replacements, but they cannot take credit cards or PayPal, so I'm leery:
http://www.mycareye.com/product/Car_HID_LED_Fog_lamp/Nissan_Series/2014/0708/594.html#order

Here is what I'd like to do:
I have two SLs (one '13 & one '14), so they both have existing fog lights, and I want to add DRLs. What is the best way to accomplish that
1. With a simple, idiot-proof installation?
2. Drawing minimal power for the DRLs
3. Maybe retrofitting some of the non-LED lights on the LEAF at the same time?

Am I barking up the wrong tree by using the fog idea? Does anyone have an step-by-step instructions for how to accomplish it?

Cliff mentions using the existing headlights below... how about that?

cliff said:
I looked at the wiring diagram for my 2012 to see what it would take. Nissan's
method for creating DRLs is by connecting the 2 high beams in series with a relay,
so half voltage for each, and one of them has reverse polarity, so no polarized
LEDs are possible. To get this would not only require adding the missing relay,
put also adding missing wires, and rewiring the inside of the light housing.
So the same or more work than converting a fog light to a DRL.

Cliff, I posted this a while ago, but I'm not sure you saw it:

Do you have step-by-step instructions on how to convert the fog lights to DRLs, please?

What would the difference be for cars with existing fogs and those LEAFs without?

I'm also looking to put some LED bulbs in my fog light spots (just bulb swap, not full fixture swap) and then wire it to be DRL, as I've noticed people notice you more often with headlights or DRLs on. I've found some cheap LED swap kits on eBay, they don't have to be that bright and throw light on the road, just enough to catch attention. Getting the bulbs swapped will be my first goal, then I will look into wiring them to run all the time.

I changed the thread title to include parking/running lights, too. (which are strange terms to be used interchangeably, just think about how opposite they are!).

This is a quote from another DRL thread, can anyone clarify or simplify this for those of us having little electrical knowledge?

DRLs (not yet installed) Philips 12820WLEDX1 (DOT-approved, and a supplier to Mercedes for their DRLs). I will be using Bussman ATM Add-a-Fuse to power the lights from Fuse 21 in the IPC box and also tap the Position Lights fuse in the same box for the disable line to the Philips controller. In addition, I have found the relay-driver output that would normally control the OEM DTRL relays. That line is pulled to ground when the car is on and not in Park. If that is still functioning, I will see if I can have it drive an appropriate relay. Ultimately, I'd like to bypass the Philips controller with my own LED driver circuit and let the LEAF control the DRLs as originally intended."

Would this be a viable method?

Tia.

Back