SurfHawk
Delivery Date: 04 Oct 2016

Roof Rack for Surfboards

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:54 am

Hi, found this 5 year old thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2757 about putting surfboards on top of the Leaf, but wondering if anyone has any updated experience with boards on top? I am putting my shortboards inside the car, but looking for carrying two longboards on top for two occupants inside when the waves are small, about 1-2 days a week on average.

To increase my range when I don't have a longboard on top (99% of the time), I'm not planning to install a permanent roof rack like I had on my last car. I'm close to buying soft roof racks on Amazon which strap through the car and take a few minutes of assembly time every time you want to install them. Is this the preferred method or are there some faster to install removable roof racks for the Leaf? Are there any mods/improvements you have made to stock racks to make them work better on your Leaf?
2013 Leaf S - Purchased 10/2016
4kW Solar - Installed 11/2016

Marsh
Delivery Date: 29 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 422831

Re: Roof Rack for Surfboards

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:18 am

I like the foam and strap roof rack things, but they can scratch your roof. You can also get pool noodles, micro fiber cloths, ratchet straps and a little ingenuity. The micro fiber cloth is a must even if you buy the pre made rack.

rockinstx
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2019
Leaf Number: 308930

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 am

Hi SurfHawk.

I hope you're still active on this forum! Been looking at roof racks for my SUP on a 2018 Leaf SV and getting good advice from two others here. It seems soft racks may be the way to go both for cost and because they're removable so won't cause drag when not in use. What brand did you end up with and was there any issue clearing the antennae? (Your Amazon link doesn't go to a specific page.)

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Robin
SurfHawk wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:54 am
Hi, found this 5 year old thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2757 about putting surfboards on top of the Leaf, but wondering if anyone has any updated experience with boards on top? I am putting my shortboards inside the car, but looking for carrying two longboards on top for two occupants inside when the waves are small, about 1-2 days a week on average.

To increase my range when I don't have a longboard on top (99% of the time), I'm not planning to install a permanent roof rack like I had on my last car. I'm close to buying soft roof racks on Amazon which strap through the car and take a few minutes of assembly time every time you want to install them. Is this the preferred method or are there some faster to install removable roof racks for the Leaf? Are there any mods/improvements you have made to stock racks to make them work better on your Leaf?

SurfHawk
Delivery Date: 04 Oct 2016

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 am

Hi, I did go with soft racks and I am on my second set now because sun and salt eventually corrode the straps and they need to be replaced. I try to take them down when I am not using very much like in the winter when the waves are better and I ride smaller boards that fit in the car, and the straps can often let rain drip into the car.

For both of them I go went with the Double style straps so that the board wouldn't be over the antennae in the middle.

The first set that lasted nearly three years was the Block Surf Double Wrap Rack for under $40: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J44S7S

Just a month ago I got the FCS Premium Double Soft Surfboard Car Rack for under $70: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006Q4ATA

They are both pretty good, the FCS Premium one has wider straps that are of higher quality material and use a D ring that doesn't involve a spring clamp, which I have seen fail before. They do take a little longer to strap down to wind through the D ring but I think it's worth the security. Best of luck.
2013 Leaf S - Purchased 10/2016
4kW Solar - Installed 11/2016

rockinstx
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2019
Leaf Number: 308930

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks, SurfHawk - I'm gong to order one of these!

Return to “Accessories / Mods”