Seat Belt Extenders for Kids Booster Seats

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfHawk

Since moving over from my WRX, my 5 year old daughter can't buckle herself into her booster seat since the rear seat belts are so low and buried into the seat. I am likely going to buy a seat belt extender so it raises the seat belt up so she can do it herself, but thought I'd see if anyone else has had to do this. I usually move that booster seat out and fold the 60 split down so I can hold surfboards, so hopefully a seat belt extender won't get in the way of folding down. The other side of the car has my 2 year old's car seat installed via LATCH.

A few searches show people complaining about this, but no real solutions were confirmed. Thinking something like this . (Edited image to show a 3" rigid style connector instead of 7" non-rigid connector):
71GG4E3EeLL._SL1500_.jpg

These are readily available on Amazon.com. I have one for my 2011 leaf. It is rigid and similar to the picture you posted but a bit longer. Maybe 3-5" which brings it up to a nice height for booster seats. I recently bought another for my Tesla and it worked fine as well.

I bought a 3" on Amazon today for $9, I'll report back on it. Didn't want to go to 5" as I thought it would effect where the shoulder belt goes. Will reply back in this thread after install and "test."

According to the owners manual seat belt extenders are not approved for use with child restraints in the Leaf.

In section 1-15 of the owner manual for my 2014 this is what it states: "Never use seat belt extenders to install
child restraints."

The section on child restraints that follows shows the proper orientation of the seat belts for all types of child restraints including booster seats. Generally if the child is young enough to require a booster seat you really do not want them at whim to be able to easily release the seat belt buckle and roam about in a moving vehicle anyway as they are too easily distracted and prone to releasing the belt when they should not. Also there is the issue that the extender can cause the issue that the booster seat is there to prevent which is the adult shoulder belt being prone to riding up across the throat or neck of a child.

Yes I can remember dealing with the infant seat for one and the booster seat for the other at the same time when mine were small but you live through the inconvenience of buckling them in and unbuckling them to let them out which was especially miserable when it was raining or snowing. The booster seat we used had a shield that made it harder for the child to reach the release on the buckle to help prevent that.

That time once its over seems like it was gone in a flash afterwards.

Well, the 3" rigid extender arrived and it didn't actually work. Because the OEM seatbelt has a little cut in it that part of the "male" part goes into, an extender without this cut won't work. It just doesn't go far down enough to latch. Hard to explain and I didn't take pictures.

Add to that, RockyNV's advice about booster seats and extenders, and I think I'll hang in there continuing to click it for my daughter until it is just a memory of the days I had to do it. It did seem like it would work without moving the shoulder strap to far, but then I got a little sketched about ordering some random brand name extender that may or may not be as good as an OEM connection.

Back