2014 Horn Mod above or below?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calldon

I have a 2014 Leaf S and want to do a horn mod. Can I reach it from above or do I have to take the bottom off?

For a 2014, go in from underneath. Just put the front of the car up on ramps, and remove the front lower aero cover, and that gets you access to the stock horn mount. the horns on 2014s and later use a floating ground, so you will need 2 pigtails from each horn to the 12v and ground lines.

Yes, the best way is to work on it from below and above. Carefully removing al l of the screws from the bottom protector is easy.

I disagree that the 2014s and later have two horns. My 2015 had only one tiny little horn.. Yes, you need to make a "ground" pigtail and attach it to the new bracket...

PS - VERY IMPORTANT... When you install the new horn, you need to pull out the puny 5 amp horn fuse and replace it with a 10 amp one, because any new horn you install will blow the little baby fuse that Nissan installed...

Thanks for the info. I'm not much of a mechanic at all. So it looks like I'm just going to leave things as they are. I'd love to have a new two note horn, but putting the car on-ramps and going underneath it's a little more then I want to tackle. Thanks again.

powersurge said:
Yes, the best way is to work on it from below and above. Carefully removing al l of the screws from the bottom protector is easy.

I disagree that the 2014s and later have two horns. My 2015 had only one tiny little horn.. Yes, you need to make a "ground" pigtail and attach it to the new bracket...

PS - VERY IMPORTANT... When you install the new horn, you need to pull out the puny 5 amp horn fuse and replace it with a 10 amp one, because any new horn you install will blow the little baby fuse that Nissan installed...

Yes, you are correct, that all stock LEAFs only have one horn, but I've not seen instances where the stock fuse needs to be increased in size. I use Hella Super Tone dual horns on my horn upgrades, and the stock 5 mp fuse handles them just fine.

With that said, make sure that your replacement horn also has a floating ground. If it does not, and has one connection pin that is also grounded to the case of the horn (i.e. the horn power connection is polarized) , and that terminal is attached to the power line, yes, the horn line fuse will blow. Just make sure that you have the connection correct.

I am not sure what you mean by a "floatiing ground".

Well, I used the two tone (one piece) WOLO "bad boy" horn. It has two contacts , a pos+ and neg-. I ran a 1 foot section of wire (from the neg- on the horn and bolted the wire to the new "repair strap" bracket as the ground. The original single wire (+) was connected to the other (original) pos + horn contact...

Perhaps the WOLO horn uses more than 5 amps because the first time I tested the horn, the fuse blew after about 5 seconds of horn. With the 10 amp fuse, I have no problems whatsoever.

Back