KW902 Dongle Weirdness

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I've been experimenting with my KW902 ODB2 dongle. I found that sometimes I couldn't turn it on, and other times I couldn't turn it off. If I unplugged then replugged, all was normal again.

Anyone seen this?

I don't have that dongle. Mine is a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F4JHHO/ I bought in June 2015. Reasonably often, I have trouble connecting with it and it may require disconnected and reconnecting the dongle and/or quitting the Leaf Spy app then restarting it.

I've learned to live with the flakiness. I use it with a Google Nexus 5X phone. Sometimes, I also reboot my phone, for good measure.

I have another OBD 2 BT dongle which ordered at the same time and never got around to trying. Will give that a shot sometime and see if it's any better.

The on/off button doesn't work well on the KW902. Try using an OBD extension wire with a switch. This also solves the possible problems that the KW902 has. 1/drawing power when the car is off. 2/having an insecure password.
Tonsiki OBD 2 Cord 16 pin M/F Male to Female Right Angle Diagnostic Extension Cable with Power Switch to avoid battery drain

2e372wj.jpg

A switch is a good idea. Here's my arrangement:

Km2IKed.jpg

Once, when it misbehaved, I could only fix it by removing the plug from the dongle itself. That is, removing the plug from the extension to the car did not fix it. I will have to test that again, because I have trouble believing it.

I think I may have cracked the code.

If the car is on, or if the dongle is actively communicating with my phone, sometimes I can't shut it off.

Sometimes there's a delay before it will shut off.

If the car is off, sometimes it won't turn on.

Still experimenting.

JejuSoul said:
The on/off button doesn't work well on the KW902. Try using an OBD extension wire with a switch. This also solves the possible problems that the KW902 has. 1/drawing power when the car is off. 2/having an insecure password.
Tonsiki OBD 2 Cord 16 pin M/F Male to Female Right Angle Diagnostic Extension Cable with Power Switch to avoid battery drain

2e372wj.jpg

Thanks. I just ordered that.

If someone wants my old one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYH9COE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know. Maybe pay shipping?

Back