Good Dongle Position

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I've found a good solution for attaching the dongle (that doesn't involve duct tape). That is, I use an extension cord and zip-tie it to the hood release:

Km2IKed.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the actual position of the zip-tie.

RsAFGOj.jpg

Actually, in that configuration, it falls off if you open the hood. It's okay if you put the zip tie around the green part of the dongle.

Now if I can only get the dongle to start behaving itself.

In that position, it usually fall off when setting the emergency brake. Back to the drawing board.

Use the lead and tuck it behind the inner foot well. There are threads of it being left on, because I have the same model OBD and the button will fail eventually... more like, shortly.

When I am parking for a long time I unplug the lead end from the socket

Okay, I've found a much better solution. I put velcro onto the dongle and the console. Here's the new position:

RayTrMF.jpg

This is nice because I can see whether the lights are on without bending over (oh, the horror!).

Note that I have a new cable with a switch so that the dongle won't be drinking 12V juice while the car is off. I zip-tied the cable to the trunk release cable guide, and that keeps it out of the way.

Once you start using LeafSpy Pro whenever driving, you'll get hooked on it. I know how what kind of efficiency I will be using (that is, whether I'll be driving fast or slow), so I can get a very accurate miles-left value. For example, once it estimated that the LBW would come on two miles from home, and that's exactly when it happened.

PianoAl said:
Okay, I've found a much better solution. I put velcro onto the dongle and the console. Here's the new position:

RayTrMF.jpg

This is nice because I can see whether the lights are on without bending over (oh, the horror!).

Note that I have a new cable with a switch so that the dongle won't be drinking 12V juice while the car is off. I zip-tied the cable to the trunk release cable guide, and that keeps it out of the way.

Once you start using LeafSpy Pro whenever driving, you'll get hooked on it. I know how what kind of efficiency I will be using (that is, whether I'll be driving fast or slow), so I can get a very accurate miles-left value. For example, once it estimated that the LBW would come on two miles from home, and that's exactly when it happened.

I have mine Velcro under the steering column about 3" to the right of where yours is, with the access cord from the ext cable tucked into the gap between the column and the dash,, but I do hit it with my knee every once in a while.
I will try this new location once the sticky is worn off the velcro.

I have mine on a Y extension cord, and tuck it up under the dash above and just to the right of the accelerator pedal. It just sits there.

Back