Replacing 12v lead-acid battery with Lipo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitaminJ

Has anyone tried replacing the heavy, old, outdated, disgusting, dispicable lead-acid battery with a Lipo? What's the biggest draw on it, the windshield wipers? Seems like a good 30-40lbs of waste. I think a small 12.6v 5000mah Lipo at 500 grams would be a perfect replacement. Seriously though, what is the biggest draw on the 12v accessory battery?

VitaminJ said:
Has anyone tried replacing the heavy, old, outdated, disgusting, dispicable lead-acid battery with a Lipo? What's the biggest draw on it, the windshield wipers? Seems like a good 30-40lbs of waste. I think a small 12.6v 5000mah Lipo at 500 grams would be a perfect replacement. Seriously though, what is the biggest draw on the 12v accessory battery?

Almost everything but the drive train runs off the 12V battery. Just like a normal car. I think these EVs would have a DC to DC converter just to step things down and not have an accessory battery at all.

reeler said:
VitaminJ said:

Almost everything but the drive train runs off the 12V battery. Just like a normal car. I think these EVs would have a DC to DC converter just to step things down and not have an accessory battery at all.

The high-load items are HV, the 12V system load is irrelevant once the dc/dc is on. You can't eliminate a 12V battery it is needed to isolate the HV system with a contactor. There are drop in replacement lithium battery options on the market. All 12V loads are irrelevant as they are not on when the car is off unless you use your wipers when you leave your car parked.

The HVAC heater and heatpump run from the HV battery, with the blower running from the accessory battery. I'd just get a small deep cycle or AGM battery.

Back