Choosing Aftermarket Wheels for Leaf, Things to Consider?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolshevik36

Will be diving into the aftermarket wheel category very shortly, and was wondering what sort of input MyLeaf community can offer.

Im looking at getting something 17 x 7, maybe 17 x 7.5, with Falken Ecotires.

Rims that look something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291993666811?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Would these ^ fit with +40 offset?

What would you say is better for range? Smaller vs Bigger?

What is your own PERSONAL feedback on aftermarket rims and various sizes combos?

If you really want to improve range, get 16" or even 15" rims. Range is improved by getting smaller & lighter wheels & tires.

A 40mm offset will probably be fine. I have 17x7.5 rims with a 30mm offset. I think it looks good - the wheels come out to the edge of the fender. But a 40mm offset should be fine, and matching the OEM offset will probably be better for preventing torque steer.

The main thing to worry about is if the wheels will interfere with the large front brake calipers. The ones you linked appear to have a lot of room, so you'd probably be fine.

Even with ICE vehicles this debate (bigger vs smaller rims) rages to this day lol.

From my own experience and observations with previously owned vehicles, i find that going up a size or two actually HELPS mileage rather than hurt it. Id assume this applies to 'range' or at least I hope so. I dont think +/- 5lbs (per wheel) would have a huge effect but is something to consider i suppose.

Has anyone gone up a size in wheel diameter and has actual real world feedback?

With an ICE car the effect of bigger tires is taller gearing so the engine runs at a lower RPM. I don't think the effect would work for an EV. I haven't seen a dyno plot of the Leaf but I suspect the efficiency is pretty even across the RPM range so there wouldn't be a benefit of lower RPM, and with the direct-drive transmission there would be a very very small RPM drop anyway.

Best wheels and tires for an EV would be as narrow as possible and as lightweight as possible. I am going to get a set of 195mm tires when I need replacements.

Back