I made an adapter for Tesla stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest question I have is what's the charging rate? Is charging at the Chaedemo rate? I would guess the Leaf throttles the charging rate to its own profile and not the Tesla rate.

To get DCFC you have to have a QC or Combo port installed in your car, and the voltage provided by the station has to be correct, at a minimum. That can't happen with a Leaf at a Tesla Supercharger. Still, it might be nice to have one or two of those adapters for my car and motorcycle - I'll have to see what's up on Plugshare to the North of me...

Yeah, just destination chargers so you are limited to the chargers you have onboard. Helps a lot in more remote areas where the only ones around are tesla. Basically doubles the number of places I can charge.

On my Bike I charge from them @11kw once my lease is up, I may add a similar charger to the ones I did on my bike so I can use two jplugs or fast charge from a destination charger in my leaf.

You should be able to order them from Hollywood Electrics or Grand Canyon Cycles. Not up on their sites yet, but if you give them a call they should sell you one.

Reported to who. The stations are generally owned by the building owner, or business owner or shopping area coop. They just want to please their customers regardless of what they drive so they don't care and will probably encourage it. In of the shopping areas where we shop the city has provided two J1772 and two Tesla destination chargers. Sometimes when we get there the J1772 plugs are occupied and the Tesla chargers are not. This device would be handy in those situations.

There is a thread on the Tesla forum where I asked Tesla owners if this would bother them. The answer was a resounding we don't care and we are all part of the EV community. And as many point out, they also use DCFC so it goes both ways.

We would do it but would use our window card informer or the check in feature so a Tesla owner could text me if they were in a bad way.

webeleafowners said:
Reported to who. The stations are generally owned by the building owner, or business owner or shopping area coop. .
Yeah. I guess it is different with the destination chargers. Telsa would probably have a problem if other brands somehow started using the superchargers.

IssacZachary said:
Now I want one. Well maybe not. I've never seen a Tesla charging station. I think the closest one is 300 miles from here.
https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging
joeriv said:
Biggest question I have is what's the charging rate? Is charging at the Chaedemo rate? I would guess the Leaf throttles the charging rate to its own profile and not the Tesla rate.
Tesla (High Power) Wall Connectors (http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/wall-connector-with-24-cable) are just J1772 "under the hood" but with their proprietary connector instead.

In most cases, the limiting factor would be the connected vehicle's on-board charger. The max charge rate of the wall connector (EVSE) is dictated by the max output current settings of the EVSE and the circuit it's connected to. See page 21 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/wall-connector-eu/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf. In older versions, that was set via DIP switches instead of a rotary switch.

As a side note, TonyWilliams sells J-Wall (http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Wall-Premium-80A-Wall-Mounted-J1772-Charging-Station-JWALL80A.htm) which is one of those HPWCs w/the proprietary connector replaced w/a J1772 handle.

joeriv said:

It's an L2 charger just like any other J1772 so you'll get 3.x KW or 6.6 KW depending on what leaf you plug in.

The answer is yes, the signage on many of the Tesla stations is Tesla specific. One should always ask permission of the site owner. I expect that 90% of them won't care at all what kind of car uses them and will say, "OK".

Back