Tow hook for 2016 30kWH Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaviel

I recently got my Leaf stuck in the snow. It would have been trivial to pull it out with my 4x4, but I could not find the tow hook. There's a fitting in the front bumper, but the owner's manual does not mention it. The dealer said it would be with the spare wheel, but there's no spare. The owners manual says that "tow chains or cables must be attached only to main structural members of the vehicle". I can't find any; the air dam covers everything. Not helpful.

This is a 2016 Leaf SV with 30kWH battery. As far as I can tell, the earlier models, and the 2016 S model with 24kWH battery, take a hook part no. 511121KA0A which also fits the Altima, Quest, Rogue etc. The dealer also told me that number. I found one in a scrap yard in an Altima, but it does not fit - the thread is wrong. I believe this part uses a metric coarse M22 thread, while my car seems to have an M24 thread - a slightly larger bolt.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is in fact correct (M24 thread), or the part number for a hook that fits, or whether anything for any other car would fit.

Did you get your Leaf new? it should have come with a tow hook in the glove box, mine did. I guess if you purchased it used there is a possibility the previous owner kept or lost it?? Of course I suppose Nissan could have stopped including the hook sometime after '13 when I got my Leaf....
If the hook is not in the truck then maybe check the read drivers quarter panel storage area(where the tire pump is) maybe they put it there??

jjeff said:
Did you get your Leaf new? it should have come with a tow hook in the glove box, mine did. I guess if you purchased it used there is a possibility the previous owner kept or lost it?? Of course I suppose Nissan could have stopped including the hook sometime after '13 when I got my Leaf....
If the hook is not in the truck then maybe check the read drivers quarter panel storage area(where the tire pump is) maybe they put it there??
My 2016 was missing the hook, so I kept the one from my 13 when I traded it in, ok'd by salesman at the time.
Guess I better pop the cover and see if it works, didn't realize it could be larger w/ the 30 kWh battery. :roll:

jjeff said:
It was new, 2016 model year bought in November 2016 in Canada. There was a locking wheel nut adapter in the glove box. I didn't find anything in the tire pump area, either. It ought to be hard to miss. I've had the rear seats completely out, too - nothing there.

:? interesting, yes it would be hard to miss, very heavy and quite large(6"?? long).
I suppose it's possible they no longer include it, hopefully someone who purchased new Leaf after '13 will report if they got the hook. Maybe it's a Canadian thing and Canada doesn't require it but the US does?? Normally it's the other way around, that is Canadian vehicles seem to have more standard options(like DRLs or even headlight washers??)....

ElectricEddy said:
^^^^^
Just an update; the recovery hook kept from my 24 kWh 13 fits my 30 kWh 16 :D

Man, this is annoying. When I check https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-hook-towing-fro~51112-1ka0a.html, it shows 511121KA0A as a fit for the 24kWH models only. When I look at https://parts.nissanusa.com/, it shows it as a match for LEAF 10/2010 - 12/2017 and LEAF US MAKE 12/2012 - 12/2017, also a bunch of other cars including ALTIMA, PATHFINDER, SENTRA.

The thing I pulled out of an Altima in the scrapyard does not have a part number. I did not note the model number or year of the car. It's like this:
IMG_3877.JPG
It has "NISSAN" one side and "LL" the other. When I try to screw it in, it goes in about 3 turns instead of 13. The thread pitch is slightly too fine.

If they have a different hook thread for Canada, that's just stupid. Except the VIN shows it assembled in the USA (1N4) :evil:

jjeff said:
Normally it's the other way around, that is Canadian vehicles seem to have more standard options(like DRLs or even headlight washers??)....
Got the DRLs, no headlight washers. I find I'm setting off at night with no rear lights, because the DRLs are on and the instruments are backlit. The Leaf bugs me to turn the headlights off when I stop, so I do. On my other vehicles, no lights, no instruments - it's more obvious. I often see cars here doing the same thing - DRL does not include tail lights. My written-off Prius (that forced me to get the Leaf) had an auto mode - just leave the lights on auto and the car would take care of it.

SL models have automatic headlights and several additional features which SV models do not have. That is why I bought the 2015 SL--did not want fewer features than I had before. My 2015 did not come with a recovery eyebolt, but a friend with an earlier vintage 2015 had two so he gave me one. I will measure diameter and thread pitch when I get a chance.

Gerry

I could not find the tow hook

just got a phone call from nissan: There is no tow hook (nor jack) comes with 2016 Leaf SV. "You have to buy it from auto parts shop, preferably Nissan dealer." he told me.

best regards

soldcake said:

just got a phone call from nissan: There is no tow hook (nor jack) comes with 2016 Leaf SV. "You have to buy it from auto parts shop, preferably Nissan dealer." he told me.

best regards
Throw that on the list of "keep it's when trading in.
Also include the jack if you have one (80's altima) and EVSE pre 15 with the 12AWG cord ( up gradable to 20A)

Tow hook sizing seems to be a real pain. I just recently researched that on one of my cars. Apparently, tow hooks use a unique threading (rounded threads, different pitch) than other types of bolts so you don't use substitutes that might not be engineered for that specific load application. IIRC, the spec will likely be Mxx DIN405 (8) where the xx is the metric gauge, DIN405 is the detail specs for the threading and 8 is the number of threads per inch. Not likely to find at Home Depot - need auto parts focus and expect to overpay unless you pull from scrap yard. Should have come with car. Guess they may be cutting more corners these days.

I'd definitely consider retaining on trade in if you are getting a new one if it will fit the new one.

Just traded in our leased '14 S for a '17 S with 30kwh pack. The new Leaf did not come with a tow hook. At the salesman's polite insistence, I snagged the tow hook and safety kit from the '14 while I was removing all our personal junk. The safety kit was a dealer incentive for the '14.

JohnBike said:
Just traded in our leased '14 S for a '17 S with 30kwh pack. The new Leaf did not come with a tow hook. At the salesman's polite insistence, I snagged the tow hook and safety kit from the '14 while I was removing all our personal junk. The safety kit was a dealer incentive for the '14.
Cool. Let us know if the '14 hook fits the '17. Earlier in the thread it was theorized that the ones with the 30kwh packs might have a larger diameter for the bolt which would make sense if the car is heavier than the prior versions.

Based on my best guess, and attempts to measure the thread by screwing a piece of wood into the socket, I ordered an M24 eyebolt from AcklandsGrainger.com It's a Fabory D444B ST4.6 M24-3X200. Finally, after months on back-order, it has arrived. Amazingly, it fits.

That cost about $26. I need a shackle to adapt to my tow strap hook, but I can find that in any hardware or marine store. :D

IMG_3981_tn.jpg

IMG_3982_tn.jpg

I have a 2016 30kwh S. I think they replaced the tow hook with a tow-plate (sp?).

When I installed my tow-hitch, I had to remove this:
2lvuQ9e.jpg

LroVxbK.jpg

It was attached to the body frame, ~8 inches from the right-rear wheel. And it sticks out past the plastic diffuser/underbody-guard.

Looks like it's for pulling the leaf out, after diving into a ditch. Aside from that, no tow hook, nor jack!

soldcake said:

best regards

I had the same issue in my '14 and my '16, bought two of these Renault tow hooks on eBay and they are a perfect fit, cross matches with the Nissan p/n. Just ignore the manual, for some reason they quit equipping them on 2013 cars and onwards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281063380944

Back