BlueMapleLeaf
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2018

Re: 2018 LEAF Horn Upgrade DIY

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Cool, thanks! I decided to take upon myself to do it this long Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. I found a perfect spot for the 2-tone horns, facing front, attached to the top crossbar, using a T bracket and each horn's tab, forming a sideways " H ". I will post some photos. An image is worth a thousand words!

I'm planning to add the horns to the stock one, by splitting the wires as follows (blue wires are the Nissan original which I then split 3-way, represented by the orange wiring, to connect all 3 horns):

Does that make sense? By the way, the Hella horns have no markings of positive or negative connectors, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter which polarity I connect in each connector.

Also, what gauge wire can I use? I purchased 14 gauge but it seems too thick to do those 'Y' splitter connectors. Actually even a single piece of stripped 14g won't fit the terminals. Would 18 or 20 gauge be too thin a wire (in terms of amperage) or would it work ok? It's a short run between the horns, maybe 1m to 1.5m (3ft - 5ft).

Thanks!

BlueMapleLeaf

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Had some time this afternoon and I did it! It all came together nicely, but I must say that the stock horn connectors are in the worst possible location. It took me forever and scratches to both my arms to connect the new wiring to both its connectors, especially the positive one. But I was finally able to do it. The wiring was exactly what I drew in my previous post. Worked perfectly.

There is only one glitch I'm a bit puzzled. I was sure that the car-locked alarm confirmation came from a separate horn/speaker. Now, when I press the lock car button, I get a deeper tone, much shorter and softer than before. I tracked where the sound was coming from and all 3 horns are creating that confirmation sound. My guess is that given it must be a shorter burst of power to make that sound, it now has to be split into 3 horns, hence creating a lower-powered sound. Otherwise, it is is a different horn, I don't see why it would be affected by my adding 2 horns. Any ideas?

Here are the photos of the final location of the horns, using the T bracket. The photos' perspective is from the engine looking towards the front. The only tricky part was threading the nuts onto the screws, inside the crossbar from the bottom, without dropping them into the engine compartment. My wife helped here with her tinier hands.

Cheers!

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:26 pm

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:Cool, thanks! I decided to take upon myself to do it this long Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. I found a perfect spot for the 2-tone horns, facing front, attached to the top crossbar, using a T bracket and each horn's tab, forming a sideways " H ". I will post some photos. An image is worth a thousand words!

I'm planning to add the horns to the stock one, by splitting the wires as follows (blue wires are the Nissan original which I then split 3-way, represented by the orange wiring, to connect all 3 horns):

One concern would be the current draw from running 3 horns in parallel. This is all on a 10A fuse, iirc. Since you already have it installed, I'd recommend a good long horn blast (maybe 5-6 seconds) just to make sure. If the fuse handles that you're probably ok.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

BlueMapleLeaf

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Good point. But If it's indeed too much, I suppose the fuse will blow, and then what would be a solution? Replace the fuse with a 15A or 20A one?

Thanks!

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:53 pm

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:Good point. But If it's indeed too much, I suppose the fuse will blow, and then what would be a solution? Replace the fuse with a 15A or 20A one?

Thanks!

I would not increase the fuse size without making sure that wire size or electronic switching/power distribution modules are not limiting factors. We have experience with dual horns being OK on the 10-ampere circuit, but the OEM horn may add too much.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

BlueMapleLeaf

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Honked for a period of 6-7 seconds and still working. Sounded solid and the fuse held up fine. My only beef is the awful sounding (very low, muffled and anemic) remote door lock beep/honk/ confirmation. Again, I suspect the locking process does not provide or trigger enough power for a proper honk of 3 horns. Plenty for a quick chirp of the crappy OEM horn, but not enough for an additional double horn. I haven't tried disconnecting the new ones and see what happens. It would be very easy and quick. I will do so when I have a chance. In any case, for safety, I'd much rather have a decent horn than a louder door lock confirmation!

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am

Considering the stock horn is anemic to begin with, why don't you just pull the wire off on it, and use the 2 new horns? That way you don't have to worry about overloading the circuit..

You would still have a working circuit for the stock horn to reconnect if you sell the car?? Just protect the detached wire plug with electrical tape..

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 am

powersurge wrote:Considering the stock horn is anemic to begin with, why don't you just pull the wire off on it, and use the 2 new horns? That way you don't have to worry about overloading the circuit.

That is what I recommend in this DIY. The stock horn is not in tune with the new horns anyway.

One note: On my 2018 SL the door locking acknowledgement is a synthetic tone not a beep from the analog horn.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

forallfarm01
Delivery Date: 14 May 2018

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

OrientExpress wrote:
powersurge wrote:Considering the stock horn is anemic to begin with, why don't you just pull the wire off on it, and use the 2 new horns? That way you don't have to worry about overloading the circuit.

One note: On my 2018 SL the door locking acknowledgement is a synthetic tone not a beep from the analog horn.

If you try to lock the door with the remote control, it uses analog horn. The synthetic tone is only when u lock/unlock the door via the door handle.

forallfarm01
Delivery Date: 14 May 2018

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 am

BlueMapleLeaf wrote:Honked for a period of 6-7 seconds and still working. Sounded solid and the fuse held up fine. My only beef is the awful sounding (very low, muffled and anemic) remote door lock beep/honk/ confirmation. Again, I suspect the locking process does not provide or trigger enough power for a proper honk of 3 horns. Plenty for a quick chirp of the crappy OEM horn, but not enough for an additional double horn. I haven't tried disconnecting the new ones and see what happens. It would be very easy and quick. I will do so when I have a chance. In any case, for safety, I'd much rather have a decent horn than a louder door lock confirmation!

I replaced the stock horn with Hella horn sharp horn over the past weekend.
Thanks OP for the nice well written guide. I did the same way OP did, unplug the stock horn and extended the wires (18AWG wire) to the same location OP points out for the new Hella horn. Except i did not take the entire wheel well out as i don't want to remove the mud guard.
As for your low door lock tone, i have the same behavior after i replaced with the Sharp tone Hella Horn. It didn't bother me much as i normally don't use remote control to lock/unlock the door.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”