mux
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm

I wonder how hard and/or reversible it is to remove all lettering and branding off of the car. I kind of want to do some extreme aeromodding, and stuff like the 'zero emission' lettering on the side, as well as the Nissan badge up front really don't help. I'd rather just remove all lettering and external elements that aren't absolutely necessary for the basic functioning of the car. For aesthetic consistency also in places where it really doesn't matter for aerodynamics. I like a clean looking car.

I've yet to find reports of people doing this, does anyone here know of instances of people doing this?

goldbrick
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 pm

I was thinking the same thing and I also haven't seen any modified cars around here (there are a lot of Leaf's in town...)

I assume it is the standard adhesive holding the letters on but since the chances of finding a Leaf in a local boneyard to test this theory are 0% I haven't tried it on my own car yet.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4835
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 pm

mux wrote:I wonder how hard and/or reversible it is to remove all lettering and branding off of the car. I kind of want to do some extreme aeromodding, and stuff like the 'zero emission' lettering on the side, as well as the Nissan badge up front really don't help. I'd rather just remove all lettering and external elements that aren't absolutely necessary for the basic functioning of the car. For aesthetic consistency also in places where it really doesn't matter for aerodynamics. I like a clean looking car.

I've yet to find reports of people doing this, does anyone here know of instances of people doing this?


Mostly easy on the two I've had (2012 and 2015); the lettering and badges are held on with soft adhesive you can "saw" through easily with dental floss or, better yet, monofilament fishing line (it's tougher). Any remaining adhesive can be wiped away; I've used WD 40 with no ill effects; just made sure to wash it afterward.

The front badge is more complicated. The charge hatch has a molded recess. You can still remove the badge but the recessed depression will be left behind. You could fill it of course.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

DarthPuppy
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Interesting idea.

I'm also on a Mercedes forum. That is the only spot where I've encountered stories of debadging or 'posing'.
- Debadging is just as you described. People will remove the AMG and the 63 number and other tell-tale signs of it being an AMG so they can lure BMWs into trying to race them. :lol:
- Posing is when non-Mercedes cars have their badges remove and replaced with Mercedes. There have been many comical results posted. :roll:

I've never done it myself. Though one of my cars (not Nissan) was debadged by the previous owner. I think Nubo has the right solution.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9061
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 pm

- Posing is when non-Mercedes cars have their badges remove and replaced with Mercedes. There have been many comical results posted. :roll:



Anyone else remember the "Continental Kit" for the VW Beetle?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mux
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Hmm... I've always wanted to drive a Mercedes Volkswagen Lamborghini Renault Jaguar Tesla... Time to do some posing :)

DarthPuppy
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 11:43 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: Anyone else remember the "Continental Kit" for the VW Beetle?


Now that made for a fun search on the Internet. Thanks! :lol:
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

DarthPuppy
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 pm

On the race trolling angle that the AMG'rs do, it would be cool to take a Tesla with the insane acceleration options and replace the body with an old Lincoln towncar or other stodgy build. That would be an awesome prank. Of course, it would be sadly expensive considering what Tesla wants for their car.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

cwerdna
Posts: 7991
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:I'm also on a Mercedes forum. That is the only spot where I've encountered stories of debadging or 'posing'.

I've definitely heard of debadging outside Mercedes or German car circles.

Google for debadging site:my350z.com. (I used to be active on my350z.com long ago, as I had one for almost 8 years.)

I've also seen some "purists" replace their badges with the names their vehicle would sell with in Japan. Memory foggy on this but I think I've seen some US Infinti G35's changed to Nissan Skyline and some Nissan 240SX changed to Nissan Sylvia.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9061
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Has anyone debranded their Leaf?

Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 am

DarthPuppy wrote:On the race trolling angle that the AMG'rs do, it would be cool to take a Tesla with the insane acceleration options and replace the body with an old Lincoln towncar or other stodgy build. That would be an awesome prank. Of course, it would be sadly expensive considering what Tesla wants for their car.


The Model 3 already looks a lot like a Neon....
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”