eHelmholtz
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Re: Window Tinting

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

KillaWhat wrote:Hi;I know we East Coast guys are lagging behind a bit, having just gotten our cars, but we are doing our best to catch up.
Got the windows tinted (finally) on my Super Black.
Wow the tint looks great with your super black car - I see that you've done the leather upgrade too; did you do it locally or did you get a kit? Many of us in SoCal got ours done with Tony from Skyline here and I understand he's making kits (sorta) too now. Have you put up photos? Samples of the Skyline install

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I bought a kit from leatherseats.com.
They custom made an ALL leather setup for me.
I was unaware that leather seats are rarely all leather, but leather seating surfaces.
Theae guys didn't bat an eye when I wanted ALL leather.
They said I could specify which additional parts I wanted, but I went with all.

Had an old respected local shop put it on.
Gave them fits, as ALL leather is hard to put on because leather doesn't stretch like Vinyl.

Turned out amazing, all buttery soft.
If it's my daily driver, I don't want to have to say to people "yes it's great, just ignore the dirty upholstery made out of recycled milk containers"
Now its all leather and wood, great sound, and well tinted.
If I just had a Leaf-Scan.......... :roll:
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Got around to tinting the windows yesterday. Went with TW Tinting in Santa Ana as they do Ceramic and also offered me there shop Scion as a loaner to run some errands. They also have decent waiting area couch if you feel like hanging out for a few hours. Dropped off the LEAF at 9am sharp and picked it up at 11:30am. Looks Awesome!

Went with 20% all around. I wanted a uniform look on the side glass to better tie all the seperate panels together. Really worked! Now looks like one piece of glass which is what I wanted so very happy. The Ceramic looks moderate in darkness to the cheaper Charcool film (their indoor display) but damn does it block heat well! Kids are in heaven now and worth every penny of $350. Highly recommend.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

tonymyers
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6315

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 pm

I put metallic tint on my back and side windows with great results. When I tried putting ceramic tint on my windshield a week later the car would not turn off when I got home. I took the car back to the dealer where we took off the windshield tint and had to reset 16 codes. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. I would have never expected the ceramic tint to cause an issue.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:22 pm

I have ceramic tint on my windshield down to the AS1 line and have never had a problem. I suspect it was something other than the tint...

tonymyers wrote:I put metallic tint on my back and side windows with great results. When I tried putting ceramic tint on my windshield a week later the car would not turn off when I got home. I took the car back to the dealer where we took off the windshield tint and had to reset 16 codes. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. I would have never expected the ceramic tint to cause an issue.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

amtoro
Delivery Date: 05 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5972

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 am

tonymyers wrote:I put metallic tint on my back and side windows with great results. When I tried putting ceramic tint on my windshield a week later the car would not turn off when I got home. I took the car back to the dealer where we took off the windshield tint and had to reset 16 codes. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. I would have never expected the ceramic tint to cause an issue.

I recall seeing a post about someone having the same problem turning the car off; it ended up being the excess liquid that dripped by the firewall and did something to the electronics. They had the codes reset and waited until the water evaporated.
---
2012 Nissan LEAF SL - Brilliant Silver
Delivery: Dec-5/11
Mods: Horn, XPEL paint protection film, AEGIS window film and VSP-off switch

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

amtoro wrote:

I recall seeing a post about someone having the same problem turning the car off; it ended up being the excess liquid that dripped by the firewall and did something to the electronics. They had the codes reset and waited until the water evaporated.

Seems a more likely explanation.
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Wed May 30, 2012 12:13 am

Front windshield: Untouched
Front quarter glass: 20%
Front door windows: 20%
Rear door windows: 5%
Rear door quarter glass: 5%
Rear window: 5%

Cop magnet. Looks great though.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

neunsechszwo
Delivery Date: 10 Aug 2013

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Had my Leaf for a little over two weeks now and am really enjoying it. Today had Madico Onyx (metalized) tint put on as on a previous car... 35% all around. Nav, FM, XM, keyless, mobile inside car, CarWings data are all fine. Judging from the the parts diagram of the GPS antenna, it's up by the base of the windshield so I wasn't too worried. Now I just need my plates and HOV stickers...

deadlyhan
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2015

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am

johnr wrote:
csriram45 wrote:How much did it cost you to get this done? Also, I thought you could not do that dark (5%?) in CA. What is the legal and darkest I can go in the front and back in CA? I am in SF Bay Area.

Also, what about the Windshield top tint?

Tks
In CA, you can go up to 30% for the front side windows, and as dark as you like for the rest. The top 4 inches of the windshield may be tinted.

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/CA/

I´m sorry to bump pretty old thread but I cannot keep this without update (for anyone in need of relevant info). That site above has tons of inaccurate information. Check out http://windowtintlaws.org

Return to “Accessories / Mods”