DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 am

patrick0101 wrote:
DarkStar wrote: section S5.5.10 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. ("All stoplamps must be steady burning when in use...
The scrolling license plate frame would be out too... :(
I understand that brake lights could not vary, but why does that have anything to do with the scrolling licence plate? It is not a brake light and would not be covered under this law. Did you see something that more specifically applied to the LED plate?

Every light on the exterior of the vehicle has to be accounted for per the law and there are no exceptions for any blinking or flashing lights, even if you classified it as something other than a brake light.

The sequence of the LEDs flashing doesn't change that each LED is blinking/flashing, thus is technically illegal. You can have one or two yellow flashing lights on the top of a vehicle though to be used as caution lights.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

patrick0101
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1823

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am

DarkStar wrote:there are no exceptions for any blinking or flashing lights
Does this mean I could have a fixed (non-scrolling) message on the LEDs and be legal?
~Pat
SLe VIN 1823 reserved 4/20/10, delivered 5/18/11
1998 Chevy S10EV (Feb 2007 - May 8th 2011)
4kW Solar PV '07, 12kW in '15
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
Occasional PlugInCars.com writer
Occasional WhatDrive.us panelist
Cars with Cords blogger

cashu2

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Skywagon wrote:I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality.

Skywagon, can you post pics of all the leds replaced? I want to see how they look from v-leds, color and brightness. Thanks!

DarkStar

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 pm

patrick0101 wrote:
DarkStar wrote:there are no exceptions for any blinking or flashing lights
Does this mean I could have a fixed (non-scrolling) message on the LEDs and be legal?

Yep, as long as it comes on with the application of the brake I believe this would be legal.
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:26 am

How about a LED "scroll" (or stationary), computer-controlled, display bar INSIDE the car ... that could be seen by any following vehicles?

It might show a variety of messages.

It might use red or multi-colored LEDs.
It might be constantly on, but probably manually activated.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

HarryHouck
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0703

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am

Skywagon wrote:I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality. The only ones I would recommend skipping are the turn signal bulbs. I would go with a silver coated bulb if you are wanting to remove the orange bulb from the clear housings. Even though the flasher is electronic (controlled by the BCM) it senses the load resistance and will double the flasher rate if it drops below a certain threshold. I have found no way to bypass that besides adding a load resistor (such a waste) to put the system load back to normal with incandescent bulbs (I have not done that yet). The 4-way flashers do not rely/vary on that current load test so they flash at the normal rate no matter what.

To add to the OP's comment if you choose wisely you will actually end up with a brighter and even distribution to the stock light output bulb.

One word of caution, the rear taillights are a pain to remove to change the bulbs. If you pull on them incorrectly I could see where you could scratch/remove paint at the top side and/or damage the light housing. The 3 bolts are removed and you have to pull the housings to get the pins on the back side out of their rubber retainers.

Skywagon, could you write this up as a DIY with a list of qty and type of bulb to buy? Does the vendor have a list so I can order a set?

Skywagon
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:11 pm

HarryHouck wrote:
Skywagon wrote:I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality. The only ones I would recommend skipping are the turn signal bulbs. I would go with a silver coated bulb if you are wanting to remove the orange bulb from the clear housings. Even though the flasher is electronic (controlled by the BCM) it senses the load resistance and will double the flasher rate if it drops below a certain threshold. I have found no way to bypass that besides adding a load resistor (such a waste) to put the system load back to normal with incandescent bulbs (I have not done that yet). The 4-way flashers do not rely/vary on that current load test so they flash at the normal rate no matter what.

To add to the OP's comment if you choose wisely you will actually end up with a brighter and even distribution to the stock light output bulb.

One word of caution, the rear taillights are a pain to remove to change the bulbs. If you pull on them incorrectly I could see where you could scratch/remove paint at the top side and/or damage the light housing. The 3 bolts are removed and you have to pull the housings to get the pins on the back side out of their rubber retainers.

Skywagon, could you write this up as a DIY with a list of qty and type of bulb to buy? Does the vendor have a list so I can order a set?

The bulbs are listed in the owners manual along how to change them. Be careful removing the taillights as I mentioned before as you could damage the paint, especially at the top.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 pm

I used these for all my W5W lamps (license plate, front white parking, etc.) and they have worked out well:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Corn ... sTabAnchor
Last edited by TomT on Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

DarkStar

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 am

mogur wrote:The only ones I am really interested in changing are the license plate lights. Anyone have a LED vendor and cross reference for those?

Sylvania now lists the Nissan LEAF on their Replacement Guide:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

I haven't bought any LED bulbs, but here are two sites I've found so far:
Super Bright LEDs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/
V-LEDS: http://www.v-leds.com/

Mx5racer

Fri May 27, 2011 7:38 pm

just changed out the parking lights
below is the information
I had to try a couple times and turn the bulb around to get one side to light
so the may only go in one way
I am still waiting on the driving light bulbs from E-Bay

superbrightleds.com

============================================================
2 | WLED-xHP9-T: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 12.95 |
WLED-WHP9-T: Cool White
------------------------------------------------------------
Silver SL