ltbighorn
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2015

Re: HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Seriously -- a significant portion of the time cars are coasting or engines only under light load and you don't hear the engine at all. You hear the tire noise. Leafs have tire noise same as any other car. People are already surprised by idling cars in parking lot, which are essentially silent in an average daytime parking lot. The VSP doesn't even have an idle noise. It's largely pointless. As gshepherd points out, even the backup beeper is often too quiet to be heard, and other times ridiculously noisy. Yet somehow essentially silent ICE cars don't need backup beepers. There's a reason we have backup cameras now -- because we have to look behind us before backing up, as children or peds can be run over, regardless of whether there's a backup beeper. If we want to make up potential threats, the backup beeper could well potentially lead to more injuries as people are more callous about checking before they back up.

FalconFour
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 008681

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm

For what it's worth, I drive 95% of the time now with VSP off -- it's a habit to turn it off when backing out (I hate that dinger!) but 95% of my driving is also on the freeway -- when it's off, anyway. Any time I'm around pedestrians - in shopping center parking lots or downtown where pedestrian-vs-vehicle is all too commonplace, I almost subconsciously turn it back on.

My mod is much less elegant -- just a red pushbutton installed into a blank button plate with a hole drilled in it for mounting. I dubbed (and labeled) it the "STFU button". :lol: Behind the dash, it's a single wire running behind the panels to the VSP box, where I soldered it to the pin and passed it over the connection housing, since I had no idea where to get the connector. :( On the switch end, I have the second lead running to the frame nearby, a good ground connection.

Really makes me think that $120 mod option earlier is worth it - it looks perfectly stock, and functions as if it may as well be!
100% gas-free since September 2012
2011 LEAF SL - Sep 2012~Sep 2014 - 35,737 miles
2013 LEAF S+Charge - Jan 2014-Feb 2017 - 68,065 miles
2014 LEAF SV+Premium+QC - Feb 2017-present

therx7kid

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

Is the $120 mod still being sold? Super interested

4wdthinking
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2016
Leaf Number: 200099

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:05 pm

I did ours last week.
Opened the flap below the LHS fog light, dodged the Red Backs, pulled the speaker connector off. Fastened all back up.
LEAF sounds like other cars now. No grinding disk brake/worn diff noise now.
I figured that if I shocked someone by the car being on a road....

GTLeafMem
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 408923

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:34 am

I have a 2013 SV and I'm looking for the DIY version (or a plug & play version). What is available?
Priuses are gas-guzzlers.

ltbighorn
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2015

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:15 pm

4wdthinking wrote:I did ours last week.
Opened the flap below the LHS fog light, dodged the Red Backs, pulled the speaker connector off. Fastened all back up.
LEAF sounds like other cars now. No grinding disk brake/worn diff noise now.
I figured that if I shocked someone by the car being on a road....

Does disconnecting the speaker result in any warning lights etc?

turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I plugged my VSP box back in after 3 years as the lease is up. Forgot how annoying it all was.

Not only does unplugging it remove the backup beeper but I noticed when I plugged it back in, the "koto" chime started back up. Man I didn't miss that thing. Funny I wasn't aware they were related. Maybe there was some other coincidence.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

PatWolf
Delivery Date: 16 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 005293

Change the VSP noise

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:12 am

Re hacking the VSP:
I want to change the VSP sound to something people would really notice, instead of the obnoxious and unidentifiable electronic whistley noise. I find that pedestrians don't pay any attention to the VSP at all. Many posters here seem to want a "Jetsons" noise, but that still falls into the category of ignorable, obnoxious electronic. Please, I want a sound that means something is coming, something unusual, so that even people with normal senses will look around for it. Therefore, please give me hoof-clops! Or even the coconuts from "The Holy Grail"!

Decimus
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2013

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 am

HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) center console button for 2012 or above (and some details on "default to on" on/off switch)

OVERVIEW
This is a tutorial on how to make a Vehicle Sound for Pedestrian (noisemaker) ON/OFF button for the center console-dashboard button using aftermarket parts...for the purpose of diagnosing your car. One member asked me to share how I did this, here. I will try. 

The idea behind a pedestrian sound ON/OFF switch isn't new but I have my own reasons. One day while driving in our 2013 Leaf I notice a brake grinding noise under 20 mph and thought it would be great to turn off the VSP sound whenever I wanted to check for any brake defects. A few owners have had experiences with a brake failure. For this reason, I had to have this button. It's a safety issue. 

PRESS THIS BUTTON TO TURN OFF PEDESTRIAN SOUND
The fat button on the center console, where the picture of the little car is. 

Secondly, I wanted a VSP button that is safe to operate, not a button hidden behind the steering wheel, like on the 2011 model. I also wanted to know whether it's off after a click of a button. On a busy, noisy parking lot I can't seem to hear the VSP effect. On a 2011 Leaf I can't seem to see the VSP light hidden behind the steering wheel. Typically, the VSP LED lights up when the VSP is off - and should easily be seen on the dash.

TUTORIAL STARTS HERE:

Parts needed: A mini cheery switch, cherry switch housing, wires and a steel wire.
Tools needed: A stubby Phillips screw driver

1. Install the cherry switch into the housing then wire and solder it all up. Tips: wrap the wires up in electrical cloth tape helps dampen noise. 

picture of the plug and play harness

2. Remove the glove box. See this well done video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWT8VqnRGo

3. Pop the dash console. Start by grabbing the bottom of the dash panel then pull (out and up) as though you're opening a rusty treasure chest. There are no screws holding it back. It'll open just enough for your stubby screw driver. WARNING: Wear thick gloves. A sudden release could scrape or cut your hands. Disconnect the 12V battery before working near electrical wiring - beware that doing this may reset various digital information.

4. Install the switch unit on the back side of the VSP indicator light unit. (Also see example pic at bottom of page.) Loosen both screws (left and right screws) of the VSP/air-bag indicator light unit but only remove only the left screw. Using the left screw, apply some thread locker on the threads (optional) then install the switch into its place. As you screw in, you'll here a click of a switch. Back off a turn or until you hear another click. You may have to adjust the right and left screw a bit to get the button to work. Pressing the button from the front to check for clicks as you go along.

5. Route the wires behind the dash and into the glove box area.  When completed, you shouldn't see any protruding wires.

6. Behind the glove box. Plug the pin into pin 5 (see image below.) Right next to the blue wire is an empty slot. This is pin #5 Plug it in there. If it won't go in, rotate the pin a quarter turn then plug it back in, Repeat as needed. Use an electrical tape to tape it to the harness.

WARNING: Plug wrongly to any other slot could damage some things, which your car may resemble being taken over by a poltergeist, a burnt fuse, a burnt wire harness, cause a fire and/or a likely trip to the dealer. To prevent problems simply triple check the pin position and confirm that Nissan hasn't change the pin position. Confirm that the plug has 16 pins. Some after market switches have a resistor built-in to prevent some damage. TRIPLE CHECK! :mrgreen:

To check if your car is compatible please take a hi-resolution photo of the back side of the circuit board inside the VSP unit. The side where there is a bar code. Forum members can help confirm if your car is compatible.

7. Bolt or screw the ground wire to the VSP box footing. (see image above).

8. Start then put the car in reverse. You'll hear a ping-ping sound. Push the VSP button (slightly to the left of where the picture of the little car is) and the sound should stop and the VSP LED light should come on. Push again and the sound continues and the VSP light turns off.

OTHER DETAILS:
The pin that plugs into pin 5 is crimped to a 1mm round stainless steel. I cut its tip to an angle (much like a hospital injection needle). This allows me to insert it into the terminal. The ground tab has a magnet attach to it. It easily attaches to any metal frame (ground.) Professional installer shouldn't use this magnet but instead should screw it to the VSP box (below the box.) 

Professional installers should use the Molex female connector pin that comes with it. It's a more reliable connection. I like the stainless steel better since I can unplug it at anytime. 

DEFAULT TO OFF: You can get a "default to off" on/off switch separately. This switch (if switch to off) shuts off the forward and back-up sound upon start-up. Pushing the center console button turns it back on, but defaults to off after ignition shutdown. It operates the same way as shown by previous post by other forum members. But the circuitry is different. It installs nearly the same way as shown on this page but instead attaches inside the glove box. For lease vehicles there's no worry. Similar to this tutorial, the "default to off" switch won't show any hints that it's ever been installed once you unplug it.

DISCLAIMER: Deactivating the VSP is dangerous and shouldn't be attempted, other than allowing a dealer to use it to temporarily diagnose your car. Death, injury or property damage may result from using this VSP on/off switch. Please remove this unit once you're done diagnosing your car problems. Installing this device in your car may damage your car if the installer isn't aware about how the installation works. The proper way is to understand not to use combustible materials, cover expose bare wiring, always check the circuit board and read the pins carefully to make sure the pin accepts ground inputs, to always disconnect the 12V battery before doing work. Your job is to check and confirm this. And, most of all, avoid plugging it into the wrong pin slot. Only allow a professional installer to do the work for you, if you're unsure.

SurfHawk
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 am

Awesome write up. Any details on Cherry switch and housing? Part number, what kind ( single throw?) And what pin to solder to on Cherry switch?
2013 Leaf S w QC - Purchased 10/2016
4kW Solar - Installed 11/2016

Return to “Accessories / Mods”