OBDII Scanner recommendation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

What sort of scanners have people purchased or tried on the Leaf that they would recommend?

I borrowed a very inexpensive reader from my friend and plugged it in, and received an error message as it was scanning....I'd like to buy a modestly priced unit to be able to grab data from the car, but I'm not sure what would work or what features I should be looking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Randy

Randy said:
What sort of scanners have people purchased or tried on the Leaf that they would recommend?
I borrowed a very inexpensive reader from my friend and plugged it in, and received an error message as it was scanning....I'd like to buy a modestly priced unit to be able to grab data from the car, but I'm not sure what would work or what features I should be looking for.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Randy

The last I heard, makers of the ScanGaugeII were working on a 'LEAF'/all electric version. I'm going to call them and will report back.

Randy said:

Any suggestions?
AutoEnginuity expects to be adding the Nissan LEAF when they receive their annual updates from Nissan this fall (September/October timeframe).

Randy said:
I don't think there's anything on the market today that would be remotely useful.
Almost all the OBD-II codes are for emissions/ICE. You might be able to read air temperature or coolant temp.. not sure what else.

I would want a scanner that is 100% focused on EV, or at least has firmware that can retrieve the EV parameters of interest. A straight OBD-II reader would be useless.

I'd expect something like a ScanGuageIII that plugs into CANbus and knows how to report SOC, current draw, etc.

LEAFfan said:
Randy said:
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Randy

The last I heard, makers of the ScanGaugeII were working on a 'LEAF'/all electric version. I'm going to call them and will report back.
Leaffan- the Scan gauge II I got from them only says connecting and never really connects.

DarkStar said:
Gonewild said:
Leaffan- the Scan gauge II I got from them only says connecting and never really connects.
Is there an option to force CAN BUS on the Scanguage II? It could just be having trouble auto-detecting the OBD system...
From the manual...

PROBLEM: Never stops saying "Connecting..."
#1 CAUSE: Vehicle ECU not on
#1 SOLUTION: Turn key to RUN or start engine
#2 CAUSE: ECU not responding properly.
#2 SOLUTION: Use MOR >MOR >MOD and try Forcing the following modes:
FORD Products: PWM or CANSF
GM Products: VPW , ISO or CANSF
Chrysler Products: ISO, VPW or CANSF
Volvo Products: ISO, CANSF or CANLF
Others: ISO, KWPS, KWPF, CANSF, CANLF, CANSS or CANLS
#3 CAUSE: Vehicle is not OBDII, OBD2 or EOBD compatible.
#3 SOLUTION: None - ScanGaugeII requires vehicle to be OBDII, OBD2 or EOBD
compatible

Back