Spacecoastbill
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2018

Re: DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:54 pm

COEV wrote:I just picked up my 2017 LEAF SV a couple of weeks ago ... first thing I did was research how to replace the "meep meep" with something a little more suited to highway travel. As others have posted about the 2015+ models, getting at it from the bottom of the car was easy and straightforward. Here's some pics I took of the "El Grande" install.

New "Get outta my way" horns next to the OEM "meep meep".

Only takes 5 bolts and a 10mm socket to get access from the bottom of the car. Jack from one side and put a jack stand under for safety.

What the stock setup looks like. One 12mm bolt to remove it from the support.

The two connections to the stock horn. The longer cable with the black connector is the ground wire that connects to the bracket. The shorter yellow connector goes to the pigtail male connection.

The new horn all bolted up to the stock bracket, horns angled down and a single ground connector attached to the brackets.

That was easy! Like others have said, the pigtail cable you need to create only really needs to be 8 inches long at the most. There's plenty of wire on the stock harness. The whole job took like 30 minutes, mostly because I read through this thread before attempting. Thanks for the help!

I just installed the EL Grande Fiamm horns. There were a couple of minor differences. I have a 2015 SV.

There were more than 5 bolts needed to be removed and a few plastic plugs.

The horns had 2 connectors instead of the one shown in your photo. I made a couple wires with a circle connector on one end and a female spade connector on the other. I plugged them into the spade on the right and ran it through the bolt in the center of the horns.

I wish I made a 4 inch wire for the power side, 8 inches is way too large.

On the factory harness, the long wire was the ground (with a black connector) and the short wire was power (with a red connector). Both connectors were covered in some grease like stuff I had to wipe off.

Im all done, I have a much better sounding horn now.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:37 am

Those 2 individual support bars for each horn will not hold and sag over time... A better strategy is to use one bad, and each horn at opposite ends...

Spacecoastbill
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2018

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm

powersurge wrote:Those 2 individual support bars for each horn will not hold and sag over time... A better strategy is to use one bad, and each horn at opposite ends...

I just did this, but I moved the horns next to each other. The bars are more like an inverted V shape in my install.

Supersleeper
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:35 am

just Posted a how-to video:

https://youtu.be/YuuEXI-GmpQ

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 pm

"Honey, I'm gonna' need a pair of strippers". :P
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

UBUYGAS
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

My latest install of Air Horns is all I use.

I installed two compressors, two horns, two relays & Two Buttons. So I can blow each one separately or both at a time.

Lots of fun.

Here's a Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlwI5XGDIDA ... by=ubuygas

And an Install slide-show with links: http://www.salsleaf.com/truck_horns/index.htm

Are you new to Plug-In Vehicles?

Have you charged in public yet?

If not, you really should read the EV Guidelines?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EVguidelines.com

Return to “Accessories / Mods”