Changing of wheels (Offset)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

I would like to change the wheels on the Leaf and may go with these..Does anyone know what the offset is of our stock wheels ? Also im looking for wheels with red in them(not solid red tho) if anyone has seen any that they like..

http://www.rockstarr-wheels.com/velocity-vw073-black-machined-16-x-7.0-inch-wheel:velocity-vw073-16

That says the wheels on the Leaf are 16x6 ..So if I get 16x7 wheels I would also need to change the tires ? .Hmm if that is true I may wait on changing the wheels..

The wheels are 16 inch diameter x 6.5 inch width, 40 millimeter offset.

It's cast into the wheels.

LEAFwheel2.jpg

mark13 said:
That says the wheels on the Leaf are 16x6 ..So if I get 16x7 wheels I would also need to change the tires ? .Hmm if that is true I may wait on changing the wheels..

from the bridgestonetires website; stock Ecopia EP422 205/55R16 can be mounted on 5.5-7.5" wide wheels. So at 16x7", you're good

Thank you, thats good to see ..Im waiting on the wheel company now to tell me if they will fit the Leaf..

If a wheel has the 40mm offset, but is 7" instead of 6.5" wide (or has different spoke structures), might the wider wheel (or the mounted tire) interfere with car structures?

garygid said:
If a wheel has the 40mm offset, but is 7" instead of 6.5" wide (or has different spoke structures), might the wider wheel (or the mounted tire) interfere with car structures?

That is not the main concern as 1/4" either way on a wheel width is still not an issue as the tire is still slightly wider at that point and will contact any body structure first. You are not changing the centerline of the tire if you do not adjust the offset.

The main concern is clearing the front brakes. Some spoke designs, including the wheels I went with, will not clear the calipers in a 40mm offset. I am running 20mm less offset in order to clear everything. The front brakes on the LEAF are rather large.

One other thing, what do those wheels you are looking at weigh? Rotating mass is always a factor.

What wheels are on the Nismo LEAF prototype? The latest video has a nice long look at them. Cool color to.

TRONZ said:
What wheels are on the Nismo LEAF prototype? The latest video has a nice long look at them. Cool color to.
leafnismorc.jpg

2717.jpg

http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/p-2717-volk-racing-wheels-vr-g2-formula-silver.aspx

Volk Racing G2 in Formula Silver.

Sorry, I can't tell you what size they are, the media photos aren't clear enough to read the tire ratios.
[edit] actually, I can make out that they are 18 inches.

I put Enkei RPF1 in 16x7 with 25mm offset. I just got some enkei center caps, but will likely replace them with something with the Nissan logo.

Check them here:

LEAF.jpg

That further verifies my 25mm offset set-up I am running. Most wheels will have issue clearing the brakes in the same 40mm offset of the stock wheels. Those look nice, RPF1's were my second choice after the Volks I have now.

I finally shot some better than camera phone photos of mine the other day with the Volks; and I finally found a set of center caps that fit properly on these older design wheels:

5663708916_75d71ed33d_b.jpg

SteveInSeattle said:
Those look good! We're you able to install the stock TMPS sensors? Do you know the weight?

Thanks! I had them installed right when I picked up the car. The Nissan dealership was able to install the TPMS sensors without issue. I think they weigh about 13lbs / wheel. Incidentally, I borrowed some Nissan center caps the other day and they look awesome. I'll be modding them for these wheels shortly.

Skywagon said:
That further verifies my 25mm offset set-up I am running. Most wheels will have issue clearing the brakes in the same 40mm offset of the stock wheels. Those look nice, RPF1's were my second choice after the Volks I have now.

I finally shot some better than camera phone photos of mine the other day with the Volks; and I finally found a set of center caps that fit properly on these older design wheels:

5663708916_75d71ed33d_b.jpg

Your Volks look _awesome_! I think if I had to do it over again, I'd get a set of Blitz Type 03, which are an old favorite of mine. They're tough to find in 16" however.

Someone posted a slick set of aftermarkets weighing only 10lbs. MAN, I'd love to have the dough to toss out on something like that. 10 vs 21 pounds? That would DEFINATELY make a difference in miles per kWh. Anyone know/remember where that thread is? I may have to do some more thread surfing.

hill said:
Someone posted a slick set of aftermarkets weighing only 10lbs. MAN, I'd love to have the dough to toss out on something like that. 10 vs 21 pounds? That would DEFINATELY make a difference in miles per kWh. Anyone know/remember where that thread is? I may have to do some more thread surfing.

That was me with the Volks I re-posted above. They are 10.5 lbs and the stock wheels are 21 lbs. Here is the original thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3184

I have been asked so many times about them that I now put a link in my signature to the thread.

Back