Side airbag location in seat back?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttweed

Can someone with a service manual please verify the location of the side airbag in the seat back for me? I am considering installing some sheepskin seat covers that do not have any sides covering the seatback at all, and they are claimed to be air-bag compatible, but they do have an elastic strap that wraps around the seatback at about mid-height. If the airbag is actually located at the top of the seatback, then I can see that this would not be a problem at all. Even if it was located right on top of the airbag, the elastic nature of the strap may not even inhibit the deployment either--it may stretch sufficiently or deflect out of the way when the airbag deployed, but I would like to be certain before buying these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R8HN1W

TIA,
TT

Ya, things are happening awfully fast in that video, even in slow motion, but it does appear that the seat bags are located pretty high up, which makes sense. I was hoping the service manual would show where the seat back port is actually located, since servicing them must be covered in the repair processes.

TT

page 15 of digital owners manual;
http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/leaf/2011/2011-leaf-owner-manual.pdf

11. Front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air
bags (P.1-37)

Looking at the
Wet Okole seat cover group buy thread, the bag actually looks lower.

Rake said:
DSC00968.JPG

Thanks, Andy. It's Part #16 in the diagram, no? It's much longer than I thought it was. For some reason I thought it would be more compact.

TT

hatuey said:
Found a service repair manual for the Leaf on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140565583347
At least this guy is not charging MORE than the $20 one-day subscription that will allow you to download the manual, like the last one I saw. Still, I wonder about the propriety of selling Nissan's intellectual property on evilBay??? Seems to me to be a violation of copyright law, but I'm no lawyer...I am in the publishing business in a small-time way, though. If someone bought one of my e-books and then started selling copies on the internet, I would be obliged to contest their actions to protect my copyright. It appears that Nissan does not put any DRM on their downloads?

TT

rawhog said:
As has been discussed previously. For that price you can buy a one day Nissan account and download all the pdf files directly.
True dat, but as mentioned in the previous thread, the time one would spend finding and downloading each of the 51 files from the Nissan site and then burning a CD is not trivial, if you count your time as worth anything. I think Nissan is missing an opportunity to sell owners a $20 service manual on CD through their parts department, like this guy is doing through evilBay, since that is effectively what they are offering through the service subscription site, only with the additional hassle of downloading, merging the files, and burning the CD. It would eliminate the opportunity for profiting from such pirated versions as well, especially if they applied DRM to the PDFs.

TT

Back