Daytime Running Lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFish

Thought it was weird that it doesn't have DTRL. So I decided to mod the driving lights.
I replaced the halogen bulbs with 68 led bulbs. The polarity was wrong so I had to reverse the wires. The original power only works when the headlights are on so I left the ground wires and I ran the power side to the fuse block where the rest of the light fuses are located where I connected to a power supply that is hot whenever the car is on.
I like the white LED look during the day and they match the LED headlights at night.
What do you think?

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Want to scale those down some? You should stay under 800 pixels wide, and 640 wide us better if the image looks OK at that size. Not everyone is reading on a big display.

No need. Ctrl-Scroll Wheel and/or many other combos will work just fine to temporarily expand/shrink your browser fonts and images.

MrFish, that looks VERY slick. I for one would love to see a tut done on it.

Isn't the car designed for headlight control:
1. off
2. low beams
3. low beams and fog lights
4. ??

And no normal way to turn the foglights ON alone?

Are the standard LEAF foglights "yellow"?

What you really need to do, is order replacement fog lights from the UK. We have foglights and DRL built into the same lamp assembly.

z0ner said:
No need. Ctrl-Scroll Wheel and/or many other combos will work just fine to temporarily expand/shrink your browser fonts...
Gee thanks for your complete disregard. It's a problem for a lot of folks. No scroll wheel here, just have swipe forever to get past this sea of gargantuan pic.

garygid said:
Isn't the car designed for headlight control:
1. off
2. low beams
3. low beams and fog lights
4. ??

And no normal way to turn the foglights ON alone?

Are the standard LEAF foglights "yellow"?

The standard driving lights are 55 watt halogen I'm guessing around 3500K and look yellowish when compared to the LED headlights. I haven't put a meter on the LED's yet but I also went with them for DTRL's to save some battery since the wattage is much less.

According to my Minolta color temperature meter, the LED headlights are 5012K, the factory high beam lights are 3107K, the factory "fog" lights are 3011K, and the factory parking lights are 3007K. The led lights I used to replace the parking lights and the license plate lights are 4996K. The LED lights I used to replace the "fog" lights are 5 watt 4984K - I was interested mostly in dropping the power consumption down from 110 watts to 10 watts and matching the color temperature of the headlights and (new led) parking lights...

The standard driving lights are halogen I'm guessing around 3500K and look yellowish when compared to the led headlights. I havn't put a meter on them yet but I also went with led lights for DTRL was to save some battery since the wattage is much less.

I have a LEAF and a Juke with auto headlights. I found if you set your auto headlight sensitivity to the max, your auto headlights will come on and stay on day or night.
Voila, DRLs all around. Yeah, I know it consumes a few more drops of fuel, but I think tha safety is worth it.

Just another data point for fog lights, but the warmer the bulb, the better fog lights are for actually improving visibility in fog and rain. I use Optilux Extreme Yellow bulbs(3000K) in all of my cars that have fog lights, and they really work in heavy rain or dense fog.

Yep, that is why real fog lights often have amber blubs. Real fog lights also have a different light pattern than those on the Leaf though...

OrientExpress said:
Just another data point for fog lights, but the warmer the bulb, the better fog lights are for actually improving visibility in fog and rain. I use Optilux Extreme Yellow bulbs(3000K) in all of my cars that have fog lights, and they really work in heavy rain or dense fog.

Hey guys, I undertook a DRL mod as well using after market LEDs under the lip (leaving the fog lights alone). I did a full writeup of it over here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

What model LED lamp assembly did you use? I purchased two H9 LED lamps and attempted to do likewise but the assembly did not fit -- the led "stack" was too wide to fit into the unit. Thanks!

z0ner said:
No need. Ctrl-Scroll Wheel and/or many other combos will work just fine to temporarily expand/shrink your browser fonts...
davewill said:
It's a problem for a lot of folks. No scroll wheel here, just have swipe forever to get past this sea of gargantuan pic.
Control-minus or control-plus decreases or increases the size of everything on the page. That works in both Firefox and Internet Explorer, and I suspect in other weirdo Web browsers as well. You don't even need to move your hands away from the keyboard.

MrFish said:
Thought it was weird that it doesn't have DTRL. So I decided to mod the driving lights. [...]
Thanks for sharing!

For future reference, people should consider writing stuff up in the wiki, say under the Electrical/Electronics: CARWINGS, audio, navigation, etc. section, under Lighting, then pointing to it from here.That way, it'd be in an easy-to-find place, and others can update it with more info as they themselves do the mod.

A quick lesson in MediaWiki formatting:

Link to an page external to the wiki: [url text under the link]
Link to another wiki page: [[title of page in the wiki|text under the link]]
''Italic text'' (text surrounded by two single quotes)
'''Bold text''' (text surrounded by three single quotes)
'''''Bold italic text''''' (text surrounded by five single quotes)

Click on the "Show preview" button at the bottom of the text edit window to see your changes, prior to saving them.

More info on how to edit a MediaWiki page here.

Back