Brake Black -- where is it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

So I washed the Red machine after 1800 miles and six weeks.
Where is all the black gunk on the wheels?

The wheels on Audis, Volvos, and BMWs were filthy with the stuff.

thankyouOB said:
So I washed the Red machine after 1800 miles and six weeks. Where is all the black gunk on the wheels? The wheels on Audis, Volvos, and BMWs were filthy with the stuff.

I don't know about you, but I rarely use the brakes. ECO slows me down enough so I don't have to use them often. I use a special car washing liquid called 'Dri Car Wash 'N Guard' so I don't have to use ANY water. It not only cleans, but puts a really slick finish (UV protected) on the surface and the glass so I rarely use my wipers when we get a rare rain.

thankyouOB said:
So I washed the Red machine after 1800 miles and six weeks.
Where is all the black gunk on the wheels?

The wheels on Audis, Volvos, and BMWs were filthy with the stuff.

I presume your post is "tongue in cheek". On the Leaf, that "black Gunk" went back into your battery thru regeneration. Brakes on the Leaf should get lonesome (except for emergency braking), if you drive judiciously. :) :)

No tongue. No cheek.

But I guess that is it, derKraut.
I do use the brakes with precision and rely on ECO for most slowing. In fact, I use ECO 90% of the time.
I am amazed at what you can save in terms of braking with these motors.

I got ya beat... I did not wash my red beast until 2500 miles... I forgot how sweet it looks under all that dirt! There was not much brake dust on the front wheels.... :cool:

"Dri Car Wash 'N Guard"

http://www.amazon.com/Dri-Wash-Guard-Classic-Waterless/dp/B0002T8FHO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

this stuff gets good reviews.

Well, when I washed my Leaf I had to wipe some brake dust off the rims. But I guess if it wasn't for regen there would be much more of it! :)

116,000 miles on my first Prius and I still have 70+% on the original front brake pads. With regeneration and good driving the brakes are really only used in panic stops. Leaf seems to be the same way.

On the other hand - I am now teaching my 15-yr old to drive and I can feel the brakes being used up by the minute. ;)

My Think never had dust, in fact the rotors were always rusted as they were barely used.

I used after-market Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads on both my BMW and Acura and I have been very happy with them. Almost no dust, they last much longer, and provide better brake feel. No noise either. Much better than the OEM pads.

Jimmydreams said:
My BMW was horrible with brake dust. I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack-thereof on my Leaf.
:mrgreen:

Back