Need a new USB port to hide my iPod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

Rather than disconnect my iPod each time I leave the car, I'd like to keep the iPod in the glove box and run a hidden wire.

I lifted the center plastic that contains the USB and Auxiliary port and noticed that the USB port wire can be easily disconnected. Now if I can find a replacement USB port that would connect to that same wire, I can hook up the iPod cable and route it to the glove box and hide my iPod. I want to keep the original USB port just where it is so everything will look normal--though it won't work since it will be disconnected.

Where can I find that USB port part? I tried various parts.com like websites, but their search engines turned up nothing. How can I find the part number--does anyone have access to the catalog?

Or is there a way to connect the iPod cable directly to the stereo head unit?

Can you post a picture of the easily disconnected end of the USB wire? It might be something very standard to a PC builder.

With the USB port inside the glove box, you still need to open the glove box and put the iPod in there when you turn off the car, or to access it to turn it off?

Or, it just stays in there all the time, rarely accessed?

A cut-off USB extension cable might wire directly to the pins/wires of the existing "connector"?

Yes, a good description (4 pin, 4x1, male connector, 0.1" centers) and a picture would help. No need to actually put a duplicate USB panel-mount connector in the glove box, but that might be nice.

It looks like what you want is a USB extension cable. The female connector on the cord will look the same as the one in the car. Cut off the male connector and wire it directly into the car if you feel up to splicing wires and don't mind making a permanent change to the car. Or you could plug the extension cable in to the car's existing port, but the cable would be harder to hide that way. Best Buy has the cables for $18.99. Likely Wal-Mart and Radio Shack have them, too. Or you can buy one on eBay for a couple dollars - check out item # 180668176642.

Monoprice.com is your friend. Get an extension cable, try to find a color that matches your interior, and it should give you what you want:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303#1030304
(I'm not associated with monoprice in any way, other than being a very regular customer)

I 2nd the recommendation for monoprice. This place has saved me thousands of dollars in cables over the last couple of years.

Here's what I did. I store my ipod in the center compartment behind the shifter and I have run a black USB extension cord to the ipod. I've got the cord running down to the floor mat and up by the seat. One would have to be looking very closely to notice it.

If you are really ambitious, get a white cable and some colored markers and you can camouflage it to almost the same colors as the car.

Not a perfect solution, but low energy (lazy).

Here are the images of the center console and the USB connector from the inside. I have never seen the 4 pin connector shown in green. Anyone know what it is? It might just be easier to get the replacement USB port with the green 4 pin connector. How do I get it?

Double click on the thumbnails for larger images:

Back