GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 am

darandon wrote:One last thing to ask... Is the 80lumien intensity strong enough to pass a DRL test? I cant see how bright they are from the first images you have because you have all the other lights on and you have the pics taken head on, but if they are bright enough to pass DRL test and be bright enough for others to see i have no problems in going with them here.

I can't answer that since DRLs aren't mandatory here. But they are sold and labeled as DRLs, so I imagine so...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Sat May 25, 2013 7:07 pm

So, I'm assuming Ingineer's mod is still too complicated? I don't understand why Nissan refuses to put DRLs on their US cars, considering how loaded with tech the LEAF already is.

Has anyone else implemented Leafboy's solution, and taken pics?

While I love the OP's solution (and probably will go that route if I can find aftermarket units which have the LEDs very close to each other), I prefer Ingineer's approach, but really like Leafboy's solution as well.

lion

Fri May 31, 2013 6:28 am

Does anyone know what the dimensions are of the foglights/foglight cutouts?

Wondering if these would work better as DRLs, since the OEM foglights are pretty much useless.

Also thinking about getting these DRL strips, look similar to the OP's, located in the US, but much cheaper. Can't find any specs tho, but in the end, they are all made in China.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm

The holes are 3". I replaced my OEM's with some PIAA LED driving lights after a rock broke one of the glass (!) lenses. They actually work well and add a good bit of extra light! In addition, the lenses are Lexan, so should survive rocks in the future.

It was a pretty easy mod, I re-used the OEM bracket, and simply drilled 2 holes and used some washers as spacers. Used the OEM harness with a couple of 1/8" fastons.

These are always active when the car is on as DRL's.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

lion

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:08 am

Did you wire them to be always on (but disconnecting them from the fog light wire), or did you modify the Matrix directly (knowing you)? ;) Do you leave them on when your headlights are on at night, or do you dim/turn them off somehow?

Do you happen to have a part # for the PIAA's? The DRLs in my Prius Plug-in where in the same location as the fog lights on the LEAF, and it looked really nice, so would love to replicate that setup. The fogs I linked are 2.8", so am curious about the specs of yours, as they look like a nice fit.

Many questions, but many thanks in advance!

Ingineer

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

I think these are the ones I have. (Though I got them for less)

One of my first hacks was a DRL mod to the IPDM. It automatically raises the headlights for DRL, and at night they go back down to a lower range (set by the dial). It was a complicated hack, and unfortunately I didn't document it well enough to publish. The fogs (now driving lights) are on in DRL mode. (so day and night)

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

lion

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I guess I'll have to stick with making them always-on (assuming whatever bulbs I use aren't blinding at night or I will have to come up with a dimming circuit at night).

Any interest in setting up an IndieGoGo campaign for figuring this out again? I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to contribute, and it would make it worth your while ;)

Ingineer

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:05 pm

If you aim them right, they will not be too bright. I don't dim mine.

Sorry, it's not about the money, I simply don't have the time right now. It's on my list though...

-Phil

lion

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:51 pm

NP, I understand. I only offered the money angle, since time is money, and we all know you're a busy guy :)

Do you happen to have any behind-the-scenes pics of what the fogs look like mounted?

lion

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:07 am

Planning on finally installing my DRLs this weekend, just wanted to check one more time if either Ingineer or EVDRIVER are interested in sharing how they did their setup (either via a tutorial or selling some add-on)? I'd rather have that setup, but want to install my DRLs soon if that isn't happening ;)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”