Power Inverter I Brilliant Idea or not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

Just picked up a great deal on a 400w power inverter for 5 bucks

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1135506/

The question is how much drain on the battery
I don't have any specific items to run, computer maybe a small heater (when the temp in Florida drops to 60) as I have read that the Leaf heater is a power hog and anything else that you may need to run from a 400w inverter.

It is not that I need it but for 5 bucks I will throw it in the trunk and the one time I need 110v I will have it

:idea: Can I trickle charge the Leaf while drawing from the 12volt source using the Solar Panel to recharge that battery?? Nows there a thought

If you plan to plug this on the 12V plug in the car to run a heater you're not doing much good to save on your range. In the best case the power comes from the main battery and you're just loosing range the same way as if you were running the car's heater. In the worse case it's coming solely from the secondary acid lead battery this is going to drain it in no time. Without power in that battery the car won't run.

The LEAF's builtin heater is a power hog for a simple reason: Making heat takes energy and whatever energy you use to run your portable heater will have to come from somewhere too. Unless you use it to blow hot air in your clothes to keep you warn instead of heating up the whole cabin I don't think this will save you much.

Instead, I think it's better to use the pre-heat function while the LEAF is still plugged into the grid. 15-20 min before you leave will warm up the whole cabin and prevent the main heater from running full power as soon as you leave.

I've seen in some other threads that the solar panel gives 10W of power . It's merely able to trickle charge the Acid Lead accessory battery. I don't think it's enough to charge a Cell phone !

Heat is just another form of energy. Using a smaller heater simply heats less. So yes it will use less power, but it will also not be as warm.. It will actually take more energy to heat your cabin with a 400W heater through an inverter than the built in heater because by adding the inverter, you have introduced another step of inefficiency.

Of course you could always plug in your 110V EVSE and charge your car in a pinch. :)

That was the light bulb that lit in my head
Is a 400w inverter capable of handling the Leaf EVSE and if so for how long, would it offer any usable charge

Also, 400W is 33 amps at 12 volts. The "cigarette lighter" jack in the cabin is rated for a maximum of 10 amps, AFAIK. Plugging your inverter in the cabin will no doubt blow a fuse.

Pluging in the 400 watt inverter itself to the 12v DC Power Port is likely OK.

However, plugging a load over 120 watts into the Inverter (1 amp 120v AC) probably draws more than 120 watts (10 amps at 12 volts), so the Power-Port fuse might blow (assuming it is a 10-amp fuse).

How many pages will this thread go on about a moot point on something that makes no sense to do.

EVDRIVER said:
How many pages will this thread go on about a moot point on something that makes no sense to do.

There are many uses for the inverters. You could plug in a laptop, cam, mobile phone, etc., or during the holidays, some LED bulb strings decorating your LEAF for the electric light parades. ;)

I thought someone posted somewhere that you shouldn't put more than a 10A accessory load on the low voltage DC system (ie 120W). So a 400W inverter is right out. One of those $20, 75W things that plug directly into the accessory port would be fine for charging your cell phone or whatever.

Or for the same $20 you can get a 12V electric blanket to wrap yourself in. Hold it in place with the seatbelt and maybe a few binder clips.
=Smidge=

turbo2ltr said:
It will actually take more energy to heat your cabin with a 400W heater through an inverter than the built in heater because by adding the inverter, you have introduced another step of inefficiency.

But you can make the best of this bad idea by putting the inverter in the car with you. Then, you get to use the waste heat from the inverter, too. Rather fancy resistor, though.

I've used a power inverter to plug in my video camera charger when on trips. Saved me from having to buy an expensive car charger from Sony. Inverter, $39. Car charger, $109. Saving 70 bucks, no brainer ;) Plus, I can use it for any number of small gadgets.

Back