User avatar
hill
Gold Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am

My switches and pads have been sitting on top of the file cabnet now for about 3 weeks. Ahhhh, if only there were more hours in a day.
:(

gascant
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:18 pm

EVDrive wrote:A few things I learned:
I cut my hands pretty good a few times like everyone else and the good news is that my blood came right off the seat with just a bit of sparkely water.

Ha! At our last seat heater installation party, I did mostly electrical work and still managed to cut myself. Good thing our host had some band aids or I might have been using a bit of the bubbly stuff on her seats, too.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

EVDrive
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca

Re: DIY seat heaters

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

That was a great party. 3 new leafs being taken apart was a sight to see. Everything i learned about taking apart my Leaf i learned at that party :)

We have to come up with something else to mod and have another Leaf mod party. I hope Enginer comes up with something new and amazing that we all need and decides to share it with us.

gascant wrote:
EVDrive wrote:A few things I learned:
I cut my hands pretty good a few times like everyone else and the good news is that my blood came right off the seat with just a bit of sparkely water.

Ha! At our last seat heater installation party, I did mostly electrical work and still managed to cut myself. Good thing our host had some band aids or I might have been using a bit of the bubbly stuff on her seats, too.
- SF Bay Area
- 2011 Leaf traded in at 46,000 miles, 3 years, lost 1 bar
- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

User avatar
waidy
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0299
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: DIY seat heaters

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am

EVDrive wrote:That was a great party. 3 new leafs being taken apart was a sight to see. Everything i learned about taking apart my Leaf i learned at that party :)

We have to come up with something else to mod and have another Leaf mod party. I hope Enginer comes up with something new and amazing that we all need and decides to share it with us.


What about Ingineer's heater mod and headlight mod? I think that would be interesting.

simpleleaf
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 0

Re: DIY seat heaters

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I am finally getting around to installing my seat heaters using the OEM switches. I am tapping into the shift indicator lighting circuit and I need to know which wires to tap. The Wiki photos look like they are tapping the white wire and the black wire but I need to make sure. Also which wire is the +(power) and -(ground). Thanks in advance.

User avatar
hill
Gold Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:10 pm

After sitting around for over a half year, I finally got around to installing my pads & OEM switches (front only). I tapped into the empty slots in the fuse tray. MAN ... on high, my keaster gets so warm, I shove/sit on my hands / use the excess heat to some good use. Then i drop the setting to 'Low'. Works great!

gascant
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 pm

simpleleaf wrote:I am finally getting around to installing my seat heaters using the OEM switches. I am tapping into the shift indicator lighting circuit and I need to know which wires to tap. The Wiki photos look like they are tapping the white wire and the black wire but I need to make sure. Also which wire is the +(power) and -(ground). Thanks in advance.


Yes, use the illumination circuit for the shift indicator. It's the white connector that is easily removed when you remove the shiny console cover. To tap into the circuit, find the white wire on pin 5 and the black wire on pin 4. The white is the + and the black is -. It's a little neater if you slice through the shrink wrap and make the splices about 6" away from the connector. Then, you can just wrap some electrical tape around the whole thing and no one will be the wiser. Works great. Pins 4 and 5 are on opposite corners of the connector.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9469
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

eBay seller heatedseat now does a kit that includes knock-offs of the Nissan OEM switches. I just ordered one today. Going to do the switch installation while I have the console apart to do the LED shifter mod, even if I don't get around to fitting the heating pads until we get closer to winter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915095174?item=180915095174
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

arnolddeleon
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:58 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4147
Location: Cupertino, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Install enough wiring so that you can install rear seat heaters as well if you want to without having to fish power cables again.

FYI the round switches are better for rears since they smaller and we have already figured out a place to fit them on the back of the center console.

arnold

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9469
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: DIY seat heaters

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

arnolddeleon wrote:Install enough wiring so that you can install rear seat heaters as well if you want to without having to fish power cables again.

FYI the round switches are better for rears since they smaller and we have already figured out a place to fit them on the back of the center console.

arnold


You read my mind!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”