ht2
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1698

Re: DIY seat heaters

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

gascant wrote:Sounds like a party to me--at least 4 people want to do it now. Maybe we should have an SF BayLEAFs special event? :lol:

Please count me in also.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Just got the pack of 100 Fully Insulated 0.110" Female Spade connectors in the mail.

On test fitting them to the OEM switch I find you must remove the blue plastic insulation and even then they just fit the column of 4 pins. To get heat shrink insulation to fit we must bend the four pins left, right, left right a little so they are angled from each other. You should be able to get the connectors at least half way down the pins before they hit each other near the bottom.

Even on the two pins for illumination you must remove the insulation and use just the metal pin with heat shrink tubing. You don't need to bend those pins as there is enought room to the outer plastic case.

Jim

lemketron
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1554

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Did anyone manage to find an OEM harness that works with the OEM switch?

I'm thinking I might go with the one with the variable switch as I've also had issues in the past where low was too low and high was too high... Is this a different model of heater than everyone else is using, and if so, does it still work ok in the LEAF? How does the power consumption differ between the two?
Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 10/27/10, Delivered 5/10/11
Drivin' on sunshine! 5.4 KW Solar PV, PG&E E6 TOU, Blink EVSE (EV Project)
20,000+ miles of zero-emission solar-powered driving at $.01/mile!

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
shay wrote:Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.

I would call it low to medium.

Are you counting the "fear factor" involved with tearing apart a perfectly good center console? :lol:
Actually, one of the goals of doing this job en masse is that we come up with a set of instructions that others can follow later on. Having those definitely lowers the threshold for jumping in. For example, in my case, I have no idea how to disassemble the center console to run the wiring. My fear is that I would pull hard on something and crack off a tab that's critical for holding it in place. Job cost goes up having to replace that part. With instructions, though, no fear at all. Because Electric4Me has done the job already, he can provide guidance. The work is not difficult, but having good instructions is key. If you've seen us do the horn upgrade at our monthly SF BayLEAFs meetings, then I'm guessing you are probably prepared to take this one on as well.

I did run my hand very gingerly under the passenger side seat yesterday and found some potentially sharp edges in the seat pan. So I'm thinking that bandages will be a key "field consumable" for this job.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

EVDRIVER

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 pm

gascant wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:
shay wrote:Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.

I would call it low to medium.

Are you counting the "fear factor" involved with tearing apart a perfectly good center console? :lol:
Actually, one of the goals of doing this job en masse is that we come up with a set of instructions that others can follow later on. Having those definitely lowers the threshold for jumping in. For example, in my case, I have no idea how to disassemble the center console to run the wiring. My fear is that I would pull hard on something and crack off a tab that's critical for holding it in place. Job cost goes up having to replace that part. With instructions, though, no fear at all. Because Electric4Me has done the job already, he can provide guidance. The work is not difficult, but having good instructions is key. If you've seen us do the horn upgrade at our monthly SF BayLEAFs meetings, then I'm guessing you are probably prepared to take this one on as well.

I did run my hand very gingerly under the passenger side seat yesterday and found some potentially sharp edges in the seat pan. So I'm thinking that bandages will be a key "field consumable" for this job.

Then download the service manual for $20

ht2
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1698

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 am

lemketron wrote:I'm thinking I might go with the one with the variable switch as I've also had issues in the past where low was too low and high was too high... Is this a different model of heater than everyone else is using, and if so, does it still work ok in the LEAF? How does the power consumption differ between the two?

+1.
I ordered one from e-bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/heated-seat-2-s ... 2a15f649d5
I think heat pad is almost same 27±3W/each pad.

gascant

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 pm

What dates would people be interested in doing it?

Electric4Me
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

The 26th. :-)
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

gascant

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:13 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Then download the service manual for $20

OK, that's done. I found the sections on Seat Removal and Center Console Disassembly. Any hints on where to look for Power? If I get guidance on the Power, I can perhaps put together (and print) a file of all the relevant pages ahead of time.
Did anyone get that "plastic tool" that is used to pry off the top of the console?

Electric4Me
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

gascant wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Then download the service manual for $20

OK, that's done. I found the sections on Seat Removal and Center Console Disassembly. Any hints on where to look for Power? If I get guidance on the Power, I can perhaps put together (and print) a file of all the relevant pages ahead of time.
Did anyone get that "plastic tool" that is used to pry off the top of the console?

What do you mean about power? I tied into the fuse block. I'd be interested to hear what Phil did.

I did not buy a plastic tool, but got things apart with minimal evidence remaining.

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”