TonyWilliams

Re: Spare Tire Carrier

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Would it cost less without the cardboard option?

You like that? :mrgreen: That cardboard is the only thing holding it on!

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Hey Tony; I would definitely be interested in the mounting kit. I have the spare tire/wheel/jack/tools (from an Altima). Also, I am a "gearhead", and could mount it myself. All I need is the kit.
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm

essaunders wrote:which tire/wheel are you showing in those pictures? Looks like a nice option.

I suspect this would conflict with a trailer hitch, right?

The wheel is the Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare.

To my knowledge, there are three separate trailer hitches, all using the mounts and space that the spare tire uses. So, no, they wouldnt fit together. Also, the future inductive charger also fits in the spot, so it wouldn't fit those cars.

I intend to display this at the San Diego meet-up this Sat, Feb 25, with a 2 inch receiver which can be used to mount a bike rack.

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm

derkraut wrote:Hey Tony; I would definitely be interested in the mounting kit. I have the spare tire/wheel/jack/tools (from an Altima). Also, I am a "gearhead", and could mount it myself. All I need is the kit.

Ok, we'll chat about it at the meet on Sat if you're there. Part of the beta testing is getting a sense for what the average consumer can actually perform in an installation. Obviously, anybody could have the dealer or a shop install it for $$$$$.

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 pm

padamson1 wrote: I don't think $300-400 is too outrageous. It's basically an insurance investment. Each person will have a different opinion, but I'd pay $250 in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Possible Installation Steps (?):
(simplified, and probably I missed the difficult stuff)

1. remove the rear section of the under-body "air-flow" pan.
2. move any existing parts that interfere with this lift-jack install.
3. install any needed under-body parts, perhaps gluing rubber "pads" in place using templates (that the tire or rim will rest against when cranked up into position).

(I would need the LEAF's rear end elevated to do the above 3 steps, and two of the later steps.)

4. remove the cargo, mat (if any), and ?? flooring from the cargo area.
5. mark (with a template) 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the cargo area.
6. drill the holes
7. install suitable grommets in the holes (to better "seal" them)
8. Insert the mounting bolts, with washers, down through the cargo area floor.
9. modify the air-flow "pan" as needed - probably use a template to make a large circular cutout (to drop the tire through) and perhaps 1 or more small holes in the cutout for "hanging" it from the spare (or from the lift bracket).
10. add (probably glue) a narrow doughnut-shaped "rim" (or multiple tabs) on the upper-side of the "pan" to keep the large circular cutout from pulling up through the big hole.

11. go underneath (again), hold the lift mechanism in place, adding washers, lock washers, and nuts, at least finger tight.
12. replace the (probably-modified) air-flow pan.

13. on top again, tighten the lift mechanism mounting bolts.
14. fasten the lift-bracket to the under-side of the rim, or position it as needed.
15. fasten the circular cutout to the under-side of the wheel (or rim or lift bracket), as needed, perhaps with elastic straps.
16. slide the "spare" (now on the circular cutout) underneath the car and attach the lift cable to the lift bracket.
17. crank the lift mechanism up until the spare is held firmly in place. The circular cover should "seat" against the new "rim" and restore smooth air-flow under the car.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 pm

garygid wrote:As part of your modification, do you modify the bottom "air-flow under-pan", cutting out a circular piece that attaches to the wheel support bracket?

So far, it appears the smartest option is probably to leave the plastic pan off. However, yes, I cut mine. It's not pictured, but it literally removes a vast majority of the plastic pan. Then you have to support the cut plastic.

Or, is handling the under-side air-flow left up to the user?

I don't intend to do anything with a customer's plastic. It's too easy to crack while cutting. I used both a sheet metal snipper, and a jig saw. The latter had a smaller chance of cracking. You might be able to "hot knife" it.

Will the OEM size wheel (rim and inflated tire) fit?

Yes, it should. I have not actually done it yet, so I don't have a center section to hold the factory wheel.

Do you need to move part of the Parking Brake actuator assembly?

No modifications whatsoever. If you look closely, you'll see the tire is mounted right of centerline.

How long do you need the car to "install" the "Spare Tire Lift"?

I'd come to you in SoCal. About two hours.

How many holes do you need to drill in the cargo-space floor in order to mount the lift?

Four

Does it crank up and down via a new hole roughly in the center of the cargo space floor

No. The crank is on the right rear, where the tie down hook is.

Would access to the crank-hole be covered by the center partition of Nissan's Cargo Carrier?

No. Whatever is in your trunk stays in your trunk. I'd recommend putting the jack and lug wrench in the spare wheel, plus any flares. Also, a great place for your extension cord(s). There's no reason to go in the trunk even to carry the flat tire. The only tool you should need is a crank handle to lower the wheel. I'd put that under your driver's seat.

Is there a motorized version of the lift, so that access to a crank is not necessary?

I had not even thought of this, but an electric car should have electric spare wheel lift! I'd have to look for a suitable motor, some machine work to put it on the winch, and wiring / switch / relay. It would NOT be cheap. I'm not against a one-off, but that would be awhile.

Without wheel ramps, can the spare be lowered, detached, and the spare dragged out from under the car?

Yes. You could drop the tire, detach it, and move the car forward a few feet, and there wouldn't be any dragging.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks Tony.

Nice place for the crank!

If a REAR tire goes FLAT, might one need to jack up the
"flat" side before one could get the spare out?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 pm

garygid wrote:Thanks Tony.

Nice place for the crank!

If a REAR tire goes FLAT, might one need to jack up the
"flat" side before one could get the spare out?

Well, that might be a good test. I doubt there would be a problem even if both were flat, however.

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

$250 for the complete kit shipped UPS to 37027 is my data point. I got the tools, etc.

Dave
Last edited by CWO4Mann on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

Return to “Accessories / Mods”