TonyWilliams

Re: Spare Tire Carrier

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:57 pm

I suspect that the official LEAF spare is substantially the same size as the Altima (2002-present).

What's different is the price.

TonyWilliams

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 am

Installations won't start until I can make a batch of conforming beta models in the next 2 weeks. Install would be in San Diego.

I have now modified the assembly to work with the rear underbelly plastic fairing, and just for Gary, I demonstrated the lift with my Makita drill powering it. It's an electric lift now. :mrgreen:

There will be an upcoming bike rack receiver (aka "trailer hitch) that will be compatible will the spare tire assembly.

Please email me at: TonyWilliams at LoveMyLEAF dot com to order.

Thanks,

Tony
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: Spare Tire Carrier - $250 installed SoCal Only

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks, Tony, you're a good man!

Compatble "trailer hitch" ... how do you say? ... much frost. :o

I await some details:
2" Receiver?
handle several hundred pounds?
drilling not required?

Cheers, Gary
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

TonyWilliams

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 am

garygid wrote:Thanks, Tony, you're a good man!

Compatble "trailer hitch" ... how do you say? ... much frost. :o

I await some details:
2" Receiver?
handle several hundred pounds?
drilling not required?

Cheers, Gary

I don't have an idea for price yet on this. Like the spare tire carrier, it will be light weight, and built using aerospace benchmarks like aluminum alloy 6061, hardened to T6 specs. It will be more expensive than others on the market.

Yes, a 2" (inside dimension) receiver is the standard tube that you see on the back of many SUV's and pickups. Then you can slide in your 2" outside dimension accessory, or use an adapter for 1" accessories.

While this may be able to handle a quite robust weight, it will be weight limited to something far below its ultimate load. Probably 50 pounds. About the weight of 2 bikes. Or a cooler full of ice and drinks. Or a can of gas for your lawn mower. Or a 50 pound bag of fertilizer for your lawn. Or that smelly trash can you wanted to haul out.

It will never be approved for trailer use.

Mounting will be with bolts, some of which will require drilling. Because the spare tire carrier uses space that others are using for their bike rack / trailer hitch mounts, mine mounts significantly differently (and a bit more challenging to design!)
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: Spare Tire Carrier - $250 installed SoCal Only

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am

Just an empty cargo-carrier rack is about 50 pounds. Of course, a bike rack is much lighter.

To be useful, it really needs to safely support a cargo-rack plus about 200 or 250 pounds.

So, perhaps 300 pounds overall, I suspect.

With road shock, one probably needs to design for 3 or 4 times the anticipated static weight, right?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

TonyWilliams

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am

garygid wrote:Just an empty cargo-carrier rack is about 50 pounds. Of course, a bike rack is much lighter.

To be useful, it really needs to safely support a cargo-rack plus about 200 or 250 pounds.

So, perhaps 300 pounds overall, I suspect.

With road shock, one probably needs to design for 3 or 4 times the anticipated static weight, right?

What somebody actually does with such a product, and what I will approve it to be used for might vary greatly. We design airplanes to 150% of design load to ultimate load (failure), and it is rare that an airplane structure fails. Very rare.

Nissan specifically does NOT approve the towing of trailers, therefore, neither would I. Nissan has a load limit in their published data as to how much it can carry. My design will not exceed that limit. Any weight or load placed in or on the car in such a manner, or quantity, that can render the car unsafe, will not be approved.

I do not foresee an approved design load of greater than 50 pounds for all the above reasons, and other reasons not stated. Injury or DEATH could result from exceeding the published limits. Damage to the vehicle, and other physical property may result from improper use of the product. Loss of value to the vehicle may result from the product's use, whether used properly or improperly. The state of California may determine this product can cause cancer.

Clear enough?
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyWilliams

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:28 pm

In support of the rules, i have edited my posts:

Businesses / Products / Offers for Sale
Posting of products, sale offers, discount codes, promotions, new product releases or purchasing information in general is strictly limited to the Business Ads, Deals, Sales, and Want To Buy section. Any posts of this sort found elsewhere on the forum will be deleted. We reserve the right to ban/delete/edit the posts and the user accounts that are found in violation of these terms.
This does not apply to posts offering support for products or services your company offers. When in doubt, contact us first.

TonyWilliams

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I get several inquiries about this, so here's a status update:

I have contracted with a shop to cut these in bulk on the water jet.

I'm still waiting for the cable hardware, which I hope will be here any day.

It's a reasonably simple task to assemble the parts.

wcbrauneis

Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Second request
Hi Tony,
Please don’t forget to include me in you next batch of Spare Tire Carriers as well as the trailer hitch when it becomes available. Please email the kit cost and the best way to pay for it (i.e. Pay Pal, credit card, or Check).
Regards, Bill Brauneis
Oak Park, IL 60302
bill_bpp@msn.com

TonyWilliams

Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Just got back from Italy, and will working on it this week.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”