retrodog
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Homemade cargo cover?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 am

Nubo wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
One other thing: I had a problem with my forehead hitting the one in my 2015 Leaf. It was a very hard and coarse material edge and it cut my head on a few occasions. I eventually got a roll of rubber edging, cut to length, and put two strips on the cover. It protected my forehead on numerous occasions and encounters with that stupid cover.

I use black foam pipe wrap tubing to protect the car door from a shelf in my garage. I think I'll try the smaller diameter stuff on the cargo cover edge.

You could also try some "split loom" cable wrap. That should grab tightly enough without bothering with adhesive.

If you don't mind the impact, just don't want to get cut, the most stylish solution is to use the door trim, available at an auto parts store, designed to attach to door edges and keep them from getting damaged when opened into other things. I've used that before, in similar situations, and it is very effective for keeping edges from breaking the skin. The stuff is very similar to grommet trim, but designed to go along a straight edge instead of curved.
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Homemade cargo cover?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm

If you don't mind the impact, just don't want to get cut, the most stylish solution is to use the door trim, available at an auto parts store, designed to attach to door edges and keep them from getting damaged when opened into other things. I've used that before, in similar situations, and it is very effective for keeping edges from breaking the skin. The stuff is very similar to grommet trim, but designed to go along a straight edge instead of curved.

Trim like that comes in multiple degrees of hardness, from actual metal to soft rubber. The softer versions should work.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”