Split map view

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG

After messing with map view settings for a while, I decided I like the split map view with perspective turned on for the right, and the left zoomed in enough so that it shows nearby charging stations.

Like this:
splitmap.jpg

I used to do only the single large perspective view, but then to see a meaningful area I was too zoomed out too far to see charging station locations. This way I kind-of get the best of both.

I use split screen view as well and I wish you could see small charging station icons (similar to the size of the traffic hazard icons) when zoomed out further. I leave my left side zoomed out and north-oriented so I can see both home and work in order to judge traffic and pick what route I'll take.

Devin said:
I wish you could see small charging station icons (similar to the size of the traffic hazard icons) when zoomed out further...

Yes, that is perhaps my biggest complaint about the nav.
I mentioned that last year directly to some senior Nissan product planners when they were taking notes at a meeting, so I think they know some of us want that. Hopefully the 2013+ will improve in that area.

Currently you need 1/8 mile view or closer to see them.
I used an example (in the photo) of a place with a very high density of charging stations.
More frequently, none are showing because it isn't showing a wide enough area.

i use single map with bird eyes view but angled to where anything near me is magnified so i can still get a generalized view of things off in the distance.

not perfect but best i think considering the limitations

I strongly prefer the map view with "up is forward" but there is no way to tell what compass direction you are pointing. In order to see me compass heading I must use the "North is up" mode. This is really irritating.
Hmm I see from the photo that there's a tiny compass in the bottom right corner ... very difficult to see heading with the small icon though.

I like the North is Up setting, but when I switch from 2-D to 3-D it is lost. The indicator still shows North is Up as On, but the display has whatever direction you are heading is up.

MaxPower said:
I strongly prefer the map view with "up is forward" but there is no way to tell what compass direction you are pointing. In order to see me compass heading I must use the "North is up" mode. This is really irritating.
Hmm I see from the photo that there's a tiny compass in the bottom right corner ... very difficult to see heading with the small icon though.

you should still be able to see the compass. keep in mind, the red pointer always points North. i "have" to have it on "head up" (which is up for direction of travel) because not all in the family can interpret the map with North up setting.

hold on a sec. i will post a pix

ok took pix but confusing because my car faces due North when parked in garage. notice direction of red pointer on compass in lower righthand corner (now you know where i live..)

2012-10-08_09-18-53_510.jpg

to reduce confusion, i pulled out into street. remember red always points North

2012-10-08_09-17-57_397.jpg

**edit** did not intend for pix to be so large... i guess when dropbox says they dont compress, they dont compress

DaveinOlyWA said:
**edit** did not intend for pix to be so large... i guess when dropbox says they dont compress, they dont compress
Imageshack.us allows for compression ... works well. :)

I didn't even notice that the little thing in the lower right was a compass, thanks for that. I am an old style map guy, and for me N, S, E, and W are always in their respective positions.

These things are largely a matter of taste. There is no right way or wrong way. Whatever works for you is the right way. I use split view, too, with the bird's eye view of the larger area on the right and the angled view of the roadway ahead on the left. The good thing is that Nissan provides lots of options so almost anyone can find a good option for them.

Back