Fob Programming

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a look recently, since a local owner wanted to know. No good DIY solution is available as of this writing.

2011SolarLeaf said:
Anyone out there know how to program a leaf fob? I have a prius and that was pretty simple.

We want to know the same thing. We just found that one of the fobs on our recently aquired Leaf doesn't work. Guess I'll have to take a trip back to the dealer.

Stevens Creek Nissan (N. California) just quoted me $160 for key programming. Do anyone have quotes from other dealerships in the Bay Area?

Lanzer said:
Stevens Creek Nissan (N. California) just quoted me $160 for key programming. Do anyone have quotes from other dealerships in the Bay Area?

When I buy a new car, I immediately get extra keys made.
It wasn't a big deal when the fobs just unlocked the doors.
My 2005 Audi can be user programmed and it uses an immoboilizer (sp) system.

When I bought my Leaf, I told them I wanted an extra key made.Told them it was a deal breaker.

The salesman said he would have to check with the sales manager (really??), and the sales manager said sure, why not.
Who wants to blow a deal over a key?

Don't quote me, but I believe the Leaf will only accept 3 fobs programmed at a time.
And yes, you need a consult system to do it.

(why have we not hacked this thing? I have a Nice VAG-COM system for VW, Porsche, Audi)

Like most contracts, agreements, and marriages: you gotta make your deal up front while you still have some leverage :D

Oh, and you have to have ALL the fobs in one place when they do the programming.
It's not like normal logical things where you can ADD a fob.
You Have to program them all at once.

and they have to cut that little sneaky key inside also.

KillaWhat said:
Lanzer said:

When I buy a new car, I immediately get extra keys made.
It wasn't a big deal when the fobs just unlocked the doors.
My 2005 Audi can be user programmed and it uses an immoboilizer (sp) system.

When I bought my Leaf, I told them I wanted an extra key made.Told them it was a deal breaker.

The salesman said he would have to check with the sales manager (really??), and the sales manager said sure, why not.
smart.

not so sure about the marriage comment, however.

Lanzer said:

After having lost one of my Leaf keys :evil: and ordering a replacement fob and key blank through parts.nissan.com (for a grand total of $137.99 incl. sales tax), I just got a quote of $120 to program the replacement key and cut the metal key inside of it. This is from the same dealer I bought the parts from.

Found an interesting .pdf while looking for battery controller information. Looks like it's a third-party way of programming 2011-12 fobs for the LEAF. Costs a fortune for the system, and I don't know how many independent shops would have it, or what they would charge for the service if they did, but at least you might be able to find an alternative to dealer programming.

LEAF is on pages 403-413 (pages 73-83 of the .pdf file):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mt19jsu8nd8cr4/9.14_Manual_Infiniti-Nissan-P.331-422_1.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the company:

http://www.adusa.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reed Brothers Security
4432 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA

They quoted me $176 to buy a fob plus $80 to program it. I'll post the final total when I buy mine (Dublin Toyota only gave me one). I asked him (at Reed Bros.) if these dealers are selling the extra fobs and he said "No, they always keep one in case they have to reposses the car. Grrrr. :evil:

Thought this was fun to watch,
Came across this video while trying to find an alternative to going to the dealer to program and get a definitive answer as to how many Fobs can be programmed to a leaf - looks like its 4 - see video timestamp: 1:25 and 2:00
Best price I found so far at a Dealer is $90

FYI - coud'nt find any locksmith in Phoenix that will do it with any guarantee

Enjoy!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9i9idpUrWgAmnX7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZjF2ZHFmBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNw--?p=nissan+intelligent+key+being+programmed&vid=ec323a94976255cb2971ebf619e84ab2&l=2%3A31&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608038254264781200%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWw0pLlKpyY4&tit=G-scan+Nissan+Cube+2008MY+Intelligent+key+programming&c=6&sigr=11bbpvsnb&sigt=11lsrg18k&sigi=11rfq1m3r&age=1336375647&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yfp-t-323&tt=b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Guys,

I just bought my Leaf used from Texas. It is a 2013 base model. But I am irritated that the Smart key doesn't have the fuel door button built in. Was this normal for base models in 2013? I just assumed they all had that feature standard. Maybe the previous owner lost both keys and just had a basic one programmed. Other than buying and programming another key fob.... What are my options here?

-Bill

billaz said:
Hey Guys,

I just bought my Leaf used from Texas. It is a 2013 base model. But I am irritated that the Smart key doesn't have the fuel door button built in. Was this normal for base models in 2013? I just assumed they all had that feature standard. Maybe the previous owner lost both keys and just had a basic one programmed. Other than buying and programming another key fob.... What are my options here?

-Bill

I recently purchased a 2013 SV. It only came with one key fob. The local dealer wants $300 to supply a new unit programmed to the car. They did say they would only charge $100 to program the unit if I supplied it. A local locksmith wanted $387 for a new unit, and $145 just to program it.

I ordered one from Red River Nissan - http://www.nissannewparts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - (Check the promotions page for a discount, I saved enough to cover the shipping cost).
It arrived yesterday, and is a new, packaged, four button remote. I just need to take it to the dealer and get it programmed to the car.

I messaged them with what I wanted, and they told me what to order. These are the Part Numbers (and pricing).
285E33NF4A SWITCH ASSYSMART KEYLESS $95.70
H0564ZN50A KEYBLANK,MASTER $8.61
You will received a H0564EG010 for the blank key, it is the new part number, but the online system will only allow you to order the old part number.

I also ordered rubber floor mats, a cargo cover, and a bumper protector. I wanted to buy the parts from the local dealer, but they want full retail for everything. I checked the online system for all the dealers within 1000 miles, and Red River had the lowest prices of them all.

Hopefully, the four-button remote will work with the S model.

Good luck,
Bill

billaz said:
Hey Guys,

-Bill
The FOB from my 13 sl has 4 buttons: doors lock, doors unlock, Hold( opens the charge port lid), and Panic. To use the Hold you must keep the button depressed for a couple of seconds probably to avoid unintentional opening.

Back