Lame tip 2 - paint your charge port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincerama

OK so I park my Leaf on the driveway, and by the time I get home (lately) it's dark out with only the driveway light on. I find that when it comes time to plug in the car, I can't see the charging port very easily.

So I took some white nail polish and "painted" the outline of the port so I could more easily insert the J(whatever) plug into it.

Maybe newer leafs don't have all black plastic in the charging area, but my 2011 is all black plastic except for the orange cover to the L1/L2 port.

Pretty simple, but it helps me out in low light!

I was thinking of rigging up a small LED keychain light in there to make it easier.

And I'm sure people who park in garages don't have this issue, but I find it helps.

If I could find some durable glow-in-the-dark paint, I'd use that, but I had white nail polish handy.

My new CLipper Creek L2 charger doesn't help either since the entire plug is completely black as well, it might need a touch up with white nail polish/paint!

Hey, it's a cheap tip/trick but maybe it helps someone.

The newer ones have an LED light.

I came home the other night, the wife had had the leaf. I notice the led light is still on. I think that's odd and go look closer. It had been there for a few hours, I push the J1772 and it goes click, led goes off. It helped out from not having a low battery the next day as the wife hadn't plugged it in all the way.

There is a motion sensitive, battery powered, LED light made by Sylvania, among others, that many of us have mounted at the top of the inside of the charge cover to make it easier to see the charge port in dim light... You can get it at Lowe's (there is a thread about it on here). It works great.

TomT said:
There is a motion sensitive, battery powered, LED light made by Sylvania, among others, that many of us have mounted at the top of the inside of the charge cover to make it easier to see the charge port in dim light... You can get it at Lowe's (there is a thread about it on here). It works great.

Yes, thank you! I went to Lowes yesterday and bought it, and it fits and works very well! An excellent solution!

I got a couple of these off ebay. around $4 IIRC I will try to find them again

f4ZCUt0l.jpg

I put it where the DCQC would go if I Had one. Fits perfect and so far works like a dream!!

1 AA and fully automatic. soon as you go near it it turns on. Very nice.

1U7whXtl.jpg

The mistake in the original design was making everything black on black in the charge port chamber.
I went with liquid paper as it is very brite and doesn't need batteries.
aigedVS.png

Where it more usually looks like....
47BJoqK.png

without the photo-flash.
Works pretty well.

Thanks for all the hints on this guys. I was just looking at the comparisons and researching my way to a new car and this is extremely helpful when it comes to charging habits and determining how long "battery life" will really last for the car. I'll definitely be putting some of the links here to use when I get my new ride back home!

Try a bit of glow in the dark paint? Or even a glow in the dark kid's sticker (need a good quality one, else it won't glow long enough)

Back