kWh vs kW and why it's important

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that is 11 or so % more battery.

Big difference to me and my commute if i had it.

nerys said:

He's being pedantic because you said "kW" instead of "kWh".

Regardless, the Soul EV has about 7 more kWh than the Leaf.

34 kw"h" battery? Wow. Huge difference. I could use heat all the time even dead winter with an extra 7kwh

pkulak said:
nerys said:

He's being pedantic because you said "kW" instead of "kWh".

I disagree. It's pedantic when people complain about which letters of kWh are capitalized. But the difference between kilowatts and kilowatt hours is fundamental to conversations about electric vehicles.

But you clearly understood what was being asked. So you could have given the expected answer and then perhaps corrected.. That is what I would have done anyway

mkjayakumar said:
But you clearly understood what was being asked. So you could have given the expected answer and then perhaps corrected.. That is what I would have done anyway

Been there, done that, as have others. There's a history. ;) he/she, for whatever reason, insists on using the units interchangeably and placing the burden on the reader for divining the context. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not especially when he/she confuses several concepts at once.

Because i thought soul was 3kwh more so 27 and then brain farted when someone said 7 more so i added 7 to 27 instead of adding it to 24.

Not off. He said he is paying 300 a month and that he traded in his leaf for 11500. Unless i read that wrong that crosses me as a really bad deal.

And no there is no history. I have existed here for 2 months. No history is possible yet. He just likes being an ass.

nerys said:
...And no there is no history. I have existed here for 2 months. No history is possible yet. He just likes being an ass.
No. The history is there for all to see:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17985&start=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nerys said:
Kw is kwh usually. For 99% of discussion this is what people mean when they say kw or kwh.

Most of us have no reason to use instant demand kw. Far too variable and not usually of any use to us.

My confusion was from misreading. He said evse upgrade was twice as fast. This means 11 hours to me when I want the max 7 hours. Ie 3 times as fast (My dash says 6 hours to 100% this is a mistake? 6 hours is to 80%?

I thought he was saying the evse upgrade would not max my 3.3kw charge rate (my mistake) ie would rather pay extra $100 if it did not max.

You also answered another question. I was confused that I never got 24kw out of the battery. Always says 18.9kw to 19.9kw in leafspy and 257gids whatever that is (I found the tjread on gids I think just have not read it yet). Was wondering where my missing 4kw went :)

Still am. Thought it was a 24kw pack?

And no. That light bulb is a 1wh bulb that consumes a total of 1000kw over its designated runtime.

Again we say 1watt bulb but that really means 1 watt hour.

We say watt but we mean watt when referring to total consumed power and we mean watt hour when talking about rate of consumption. Ie defined by context. Not saying it is right just the way it is.
And many similar posts like it, despite considerable care and effort by others to educate you about the meaning of kW and kWh.

No it is not. Your sample is less than 2 months old.

Sorry. That is not "history" that is current events. Brand new.

You really need to get over yourself.

And you prove my own point over and over again. You understand what i said everyone understood. Clearly. No ambiguity at all. but choose to nitpick on it. That is your failing. Not mine.

nerys said:
No history is possible yet. He just likes being an ass.

I'm sorry if it appears that way. I have no animosity towards you. I just think it's important to make a distinction among two of the key concepts when discussing EVs. Otherwise things can get confusing especially when jumping back and forth between different issues. I know you think it's obvious from context but that's not always the case. I was taught that it is the writer's responsibility to strive for clear communication and that it's somewhat rude to place unnecessary burdens on the reader. it'S SoMEWhaT lIKe iNdiSCrimINaTE uSE Of cAPITaL lETterS. Yeah you can still read it, but not a friendly thing to do.

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on the topic.

Regards.

It appeared that way because you dragged that topic from thst thread to this thread. Ie you followed me like a troll. At least that is how it came across.

nerys said:
An extra 3kw would be amazing in the leaf.
Just to be clear, I understood that the author thinks "an extra 3kW would be amazing" because maybe the sluggish acceleration would improve. At no time did I make the connection that he meant and additional 3kWh battery capacity.
So the author's assumption that everyone understood what he meant is not accurate.

nerys said:
He just likes being an ass.
The author should consider to try to understand the topic instead of name calling someone who uses units of measurements correctly.

Only because nobody has said it yet (in this thread)…
kWh = gallons of gasoline
kW = horsepower

And yes, they are directly compatible.

Kilowatt-hours is a measure of energy. Energy is joules. A gallon of gasoline contains a specific amount of energy.
Kilowatts is a measure of power. 0.746 kW is almost exactly 1 horsepower.

Yes, people confuse them all the time. It's a rookie mistake, and especially easy to make because of the similarities between them.

The units can get even more interesting. Miles per gallon is actually convertible to mm^2. Think of it a little more literally, and it makes sense. If you get 30 miles per gallon, find a tiny tube 30 miles long that when full, contains 1 gallon of gas. That cross section is measured in mm^2. xkcd explains it much better.

mctom987 said:
The units can get even more interesting. Miles per gallon is actually convertible to mm^2.

Nope. The xkcd page correctly identifies mm^2 as gallons per mile, not miles per gallon, but then he gets it confused. Even his Wolfram Alpha link has the reciprocal in it.

Unfortunately mm^2 and mm^-2 are not interchangeable!
=Smidge=

Half of the people on my facebook don't even know the difference between:
  • Their, There, They're
  • effect, affect
  • to, two, too
And you expect everyone to get KW vs. KWH correct? Hahaha. I gave up on it a long time ago. Just like I gave up on people knowing the difference between a charger and an EVSE.

mctom987 said:
The units can get even more interesting. Miles per gallon is actually convertible to mm^2. Think of it a little more literally, and it makes sense.

It only makes sense if you think there's such a thing as 2-dimensional gasoline. :lol:

adric22 said:
Half of the people on my facebook don't even know the difference between:
  • Their, There, They're
  • effect, affect
  • to, two, too
And you expect everyone to get KW vs. KWH correct? Hahaha. I gave up on it a long time ago. Just like I gave up on people knowing the difference between a charger and an EVSE.

While we're complaining about things that won't ever change, I'd like to add using the phrase "Pull the trigger" instead of "make a decision" or "decide," which isn't a technical error but is still offensive to many of us, and also, adding an apostrophe to "EV" to make it plural. It's just "EVs" dammit...

Back