CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Re: Care and feeding of your car's paint

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:28 am

I have pretty much followed mwalsh's cleaning and polishing regime. My LEAF is garaged in a heated garage, BTW. I wash it once a month even in winter, use a soft polishing cloth to apply a wax and buff coatvafter drying. I use a type of glass wax made for aircraft windscreens (which a buddy of mine at Ft Campbell gets for me. It is a silicone based stuff that most likely costs us taxpayers $50 per ounce, no doubt. Only problem i had was a 3" longitudinal scrape inflicked in the office garage. A blue paint. I found the culprit's vehicle BTW and put a raw potato in the exhaust pipe. Anyway, my LEAF looks like new - 26,000+ miles and still all bars on the GOM.
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

danohayes
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2015
Leaf Number: 323086

Thu May 21, 2015 3:30 pm

I just bought my Leaf.

First chance I had, I did my usual just-got-a-new-car ritual.

I washed the car using regular Meguiars auto soap.

Then used the Meguiars "clay bar" treatment. This takes any imperfections off the paint, leaving the surface perdectly smooth.

Then, I waxed it using Mother's Carnuba cleaning wax.

Then, followed up with a coat of pure Carnuba wax - not sure if it is Meguiars or Mother's now (I'm at work).

The paint job now looks about 3 feet deep.

The cool thing is, that after you do that, you can wash the car with clear water once a week, and the water just flows off. Using soap every time you wax the car just takes off the wax, and probably some clear coat (who knows what they put in those soaps...).

The other thing I always avoid is car washes - they use kerosene in their soap, which makes the car shiny, but takes off the paint !

This works for me, the cars look perfect, I wasx them three or so times a year, and rarely have to use soap on the body of the car - jsut the wheels and tires, usually.

It's a bit of work to do this, but I can wash our Mercedes with clear water in about 5 minutes - no streaking, and the water just drips off.

annabel398
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 424858

Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:20 pm

A product that is dear to my heart, and that everyone who likes to wash her own car should know about:

Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8DR0AO/ (known as ONR)

This stuff is blue magic in a bottle. A couple of capfuls in 2 gallons of water, a soft sponge, and some microfiber towels for drying, and you're set. It has some sort of magic compound in it that captures dirt the way Febreze captures smells. Wash your car with this stuff, a section at a time, dry it carefully (splurge on some good microfibers, they're really worth it), and your car will shine like you wouldn't believe. It isn't good at removing sap or tar or bug remains, but for plain ol' road dirt it is unparalleled. It also conserves water (and I assume a Leaf owner is more environmentally conscious than the average bear, right?) because there is no need to rinse.

I know I sound like a late-night TV commercial, but really, try this stuff out. If you aren't impressed, drop me a PM and I will buy the rest of the bottle from you. It's that good.

I also ditto the person who recommended claying their car. Take a piece of slick thin plastic--the cellophane from a pack of cigarettes is ideal--and put it under your fingertips and rub the finish of your car. Feel that graininess? After you clay your car, it will feel as slick as glass. Do this after washing and prior to waxing. Any auto-supply store will have one or more clay kits. I like Mother's California Gold http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002U2V1Y/ mostly because the lubricant smells like cinnamon and the clay (yellow) seems to hold up a little longer than the other one (blue) I've used. It takes a while to clay a car, but the results are, again, well worth it!
Nissan Leaf SV with QC/LED | manufactured December 2013
11 bars, dropped the first at 30.300 miles | located in Austin, TX

Return to “Tips & Tricks”