From 0% SOC/Turtle Shutdown to Drive Again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know. The charger, BTW, is built into the car. The level one unit that comes with the car is an "EVSE" or charging cable. It provides power to the onboard charger. The only external chargers are the DC Quick Charge stations: they bypass the car's charger and access the battery pack directly to charge it.

knightmb said:
I didn't see this anywhere in a forum or Google search, so maybe the information would be useful for those that are just wondering. :twisted:

Say you drive your Leaf until absolute shutdown, past turtle mode to completely no power. How much do you need to charge the Leaf to make it drive again (if even for a short distance).

Well, I found out today with my experiment. I just drove my Leaf (with a gas generator in the back) until it was past turtle mode and completely shutdown. Then using the Level 1 charger that comes with all Leaf vehicles, fired up the generator and charged it until it would actually let me drive. I found that the magic SOC is 7%. Once it reached this, I was able to drive it again. It took about an 1.5 hours with the Level 1 charger to achieve this. About every 15 minutes, I would check to see if it would let me drive. I figured 5% would be enough to at least get rolling, but even at that level it just complains the battery is too low to start. 6%, no go either. 7%, can be driven again.

The more you know... :mrgreen:

Cool info, what type of generator did you use? Going to try my Honda 3000is generator.

Fred

I don't know what genset he used, but i have charged mine with a Honda 2000i with no problem. Also for fun charging with the 2000i I figured it roughly about 20 miles per gallon :)

Yes, this has been reported here a number of times in the past. It and Turtle were one of the first experiments I did when I got my Leaf 4 years ago in fact...

knightmb said:
I found that the magic SOC is 7%. Once it reached this, I was able to drive it again. It took about an 1.5 hours with the Level 1 charger to achieve this. About every 15 minutes, I would check to see if it would let me drive. I figured 5% would be enough to at least get rolling, but even at that level it just complains the battery is too low to start. 6%, no go either. 7%, can be driven again.

Mine was 2013 S, is it same for all model years? 7% and you drive?

TomT said:
Yes, this has been reported here a number of times in the past. It and Turtle were one of the first experiments I did when I got my Leaf 4 years ago in fact...

knightmb said:
I found that the magic SOC is 7%. Once it reached this, I was able to drive it again. It took about an 1.5 hours with the Level 1 charger to achieve this. About every 15 minutes, I would check to see if it would let me drive. I figured 5% would be enough to at least get rolling, but even at that level it just complains the battery is too low to start. 6%, no go either. 7%, can be driven again.

Yep. LBW, VLBW, Turtle, and shutdown Gids have remained unchanged. Relative SOC is somewhat useless as that changes as the battery degrades...

knightmb said:

Does it restore driving based on Gid level or SOC%?

TomT said:
Yep. LBW, VLBW, Turtle, and shutdown Gids have remained unchanged. Relative SOC is somewhat useless as that changes as the battery degrades...

knightmb said:

LeftieBiker said:
Good to know. The charger, BTW, is built into the car. The level one unit that comes with the car is an "EVSE" or charging cable. It provides power to the onboard charger. The only external chargers are the DC Quick Charge stations: they bypass the car's charger and access the battery pack directly to charge it.
Charger, charger, charger. :twisted:

Moof said:
LeftieBiker said:
Yeah, I know better, just forget sometimes as all my other e-stuff has the charger external, not internal :D

Moof said:
LeftieBiker said:

:lol:
12456_original.gif

Wennfred said:
Cool info, what type of generator did you use? Going to try my Honda 3000is generator.

Fred
Just a Homelite 2200 watt generator. Only has 120v ports (no 240v). The generator makes a good solid 120v even under load, but I have found that the newer EVSE that come with the 2015 models only uses 10 amps when charging, where as the older ones that came with my 2013 use 12 amps when charging. Seems odd that the newer EVSE are rated on the back for 12 amps @ 120v, but a side by side comparison with the KillAMeter does confirm a 2 amp difference. Are the newer EVSE more efficient or just using less power to avoid burning up electrical outlets I wonder? :?

so I can confirm it's 7% GID. I ran out of juice on the way to work and thankfully was able to coast (the Leaf goes into N after turtle mode) near a building that had a 110v outlet that was hot. Had to push it 20' (with the help of a LEO) and plugged in.

Took about 2hrs from nothing to ~7.4%GID and ~14% SOC (per Leaf Spy) @110v. That was enough to get me the 1 mile to a 220v evse for 20 mins then to work where it said 5hrs 30mins to full charge. Good thing it's free at work! :lol:

When I got to work, it was a good thing that a slot was available because I had 6% GID and 13.9% SOC. When I stopped the car, I tried to put it in D or R and it would only go into N. I guess because GID had dropped below 7% so it wouldn't go into drive?

Need to keep an eye on GID too!

If you ever need to charge with a portable generator, use your L2 240v charger and plug it into the bigger, 240v generator plug. I would imagine you will charge much faster, and use less gas. I had my electrician put in a generator interlock into my house main electric panel, and the generator started charging my car at 240v. Someday, when I have time to kill, I will see how long the car takes to charge with the generator....

Back