Leased Leaf without carwings, use free data plan instead

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fetv

I leased a leaf without carwings very cheap. Now I am using free data plan with plugshare app, gps to perform some carwings functions (it is ok for me not to have other carwings function):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CArktLswk[/youtube]

fetv said:
I leased a leaf without carwings very cheap. Now I am using free data plan with plugshare app, gps to perform some carwings functions (it is ok for me not to have other carwings function)

A concern would be the 500MB monthly cap for the free account. That's not a huge amount of data, and you don't get cut off when you've used it - you incur overage charges of $0.02 per MB!

I have this account with a Freedompop personal hotspot. Since I only use it when I can't find free WiFi and I pay a couple of bucks per month for unused data rollover, I currently have 4.79GB. :D

If you regularly use a GPS app such as Apple Maps or Google Maps that requires constant map updates over your cellular connection, as opposed to one like Navigon which stores the map data on your device, you'll burn through 500 MB VERY quickly.

you may get more data if you are "friends" to other users.

mwalsh said:
fetv said:
I leased a leaf without carwings very cheap. Now I am using free data plan with plugshare app, gps to perform some carwings functions (it is ok for me not to have other carwings function)

A concern would be the 500MB monthly cap for the free account. That's not a huge amount of data, and you don't get cut off when you've used it - you incur overage charges of $0.02 per MB!

I have this account with a Freedompop personal hotspot. Since I only use it when I can't find free WiFi and I pay a couple of bucks per month for unused data rollover, I currently have 4.79GB. :D

500MB?!?!?

This pas Dec-Jan I used 28.26GB of cell data, way more on WiFi.

screenshotsmall20150412150526___fh9t0hpK6o.png

This month I am already at 9.87GB

screenshotsmall20150412150541___R2xsMAwmjl.png

are you watching videos?
how much data used for google map? (though map uses a little bit more than text, but cell phone is pretty efficient in usage).

2k1Toaster said:
500MB?!?!?

This pas Dec-Jan I used 28.26GB of cell data, way more on WiFi.

screenshotsmall20150412150526___fh9t0hpK6o.png

This month I am already at 9.87GB

screenshotsmall20150412150541___R2xsMAwmjl.png

Videos, streaming BBCR1, backups, lots of ftp, maps is inconsequential compared to the general use. That's what unlimited plans are for!

I use Waze daily for my driving. I leave it on even when I know where I'm going to help provide traffic data. So far this month, it has only used 31.51 MB of data.

Facebook on the other hand has used 240MB of data, and Google Play Music has used 114MB.

DesertSprings said:
I use Waze daily for my driving. I leave it on even when I know where I'm going to help provide traffic data. So far this month, it has only used 31.51 MB of data.

Oh, that's not bad at all. Certainly gives me pause to think now that I no longer have NavTraffic.

thanks for the tip of using waze.

is waze better than google map?

DesertSprings said:

Facebook on the other hand has used 240MB of data, and Google Play Music has used 114MB.

mwalsh said:
I had saved this message as I wanted to check Freedompop out based on what you said. I wanted to see if something like this would be useful to have for an old android device that stays in my LEAF. Then I read the terms of service from these guys and WOW. :shock: I did not see that they wanted your first born, but seems like they want everything just short of that.

what did you read the "Then I read the terms of service from these guys"?
Be aware, they don't have incentive to write the terms of service to clearly to spell out how this is free. Long time ago, I had posted another video early here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFBMhrG1zco[/youtube]
My friend Fred said that he read the terms of the service and decided that this is not free. So we had a bet, I said I will try another time. Thus I ordered another one and made the recent video, it is still free, no charge. He still does not believe me. Note that I don't work for freedompop, I don't profit if more people are using it. In fact, the device would sell out quickly and more people using it means I may have hard time to get another one.

jpadc said:
mwalsh said:
I had saved this message as I wanted to check Freedompop out based on what you said. I wanted to see if something like this would be useful to have for an old android device that stays in my LEAF. Then I read the terms of service from these guys and WOW. :shock: I did not see that they wanted your first born, but seems like they want everything just short of that.

I use FreedomPop as well, and so far, I only pay $3.99 a month (because I wanted 3G coverage -- only 4G is free). The fees seem to be as advertised (free if you want it to be free, but then only 500MB of 4G, so you're at the mercy of the coverage in your location). But you can really rack up the data available to you if you get those FreedomPop friends...

fetv said:
what did you read the "Then I read the terms of service from these guys"?
Be aware, they don't have incentive to write the terms of service to clearly to spell out how this is free.
I think you misunderstood as I was not overly clear. I'm not disputing the cost versus free nature of the service. What I object to in the terms of service has to do with what personal information they collect from you as you use the service and everything they say they can do with your personal information once they have it. I encourage you to read their "privacy statement" (such an ironic use of the word privacy). Not that I ever use my Facebook account, but after reading that statement I would not even want to be "friends" with anybody who uses this service. I'd sure be afraid to access any of my banking information using it.

Everyone is different and that is what makes the world an interesting place, I was just saying, for me, I would not want to agree to what they require you to agree to in order to use the service.

Back