Leaf Flat Tire-My Most Embarrassing Moments,Unbelievable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fetv

Flat Tire-My Most Embarrassing Moments,Unbelievable, I'm Shocked
I am pretty handy and resourceful but I have to admit my recent most embarrassing moments. Although I've had many flat tires in the past, I was surprised and shocked at how little I knew about my new Nissan Leaf.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6j0hDRnWRM[/youtube]

This is the story: our new Nissan Leaf (a newly leased car) got a flat tire in the middle of a parking lot. So, not the first time, just calmly figure out what to do, right? But then I noticed both left and right had earth moving equipment moving in. and realized that the parking lot was going through construction and renovation. Now I was under pressure just to move the car to somewhere else. Still, not a big deal, just a flat tire, right? Wrong again. Now I am sharing my mistakes with you so that you do not have to make the same ones. Certainly I wish someone told me this (before my flat tire accident).

I am grateful to the construction team, if you are watching and smiling, who did not bulldoze or even tow my car, and in fact were both patient and helpful.:]

Tire plugs instead of repair kit goop in a small tread puncture. Cheap; permanent (though the overly cautious will probably want a tire shop to patch the inside of the tire too once circumstances permit); doesn't make as much of a mess; cheaper to replace a plug kit than a goop bottle.

mwalsh said:
Tire plugs instead of repair kit goop in a small tread puncture. Cheap; permanent (though the overly cautious will probably want a tire shop to patch the inside of the tire too once circumstances permit); doesn't make as much of a mess; cheaper to replace a plug kit than a goop bottle.

Not overly-cautious imo. A roadside "string" plug should be for emergency temporary use. Definitely get the tire repaired properly afterwards:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good points about the cost of using the repair kit and then having to replace the tire (Tyre) anyway. Is it the case that once you use the repair kit your tire is toasted and will need a new one anyway or will they be able to clean it up and repair the tire properly and get you going again on the same tire?

Maybe I should just buy a extra wheel and tire now and have it ready at home, when a puntures happens, I have a replacement that I can run down to the dealership with, or where ever the car is, or I guess I could carry it in the trunk all the time.

Good narration over the video and info screens. I've not been able to watch the full video since I'm at work right now.

Nubo said:
Not overly-cautious imo. A roadside "string" plug should be for emergency temporary use. Definitely get the tire repaired properly afterwards:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been plugging (only) my own tires for 35 years with only one instance of a repair failing to hold air properly, and that was when I plugged a hole that was pretty close to being obviously too large. While I expected it would eventually need professional attention, it lost air more slowly and did enable me to delay my tire shop visit until a more convenient time.

Obviously YMMV, and what works for me might be something you're not comfortable with.

With the LEAF I do actually have two full size spares on factory rims. I keep one at home and one at the office, and have always had the intention of getting AAA to tow me to whichever is closest (not had to do that yet...touch wood!)

I have a set of winter wheels & tires. I'm just planning on having my wife bring one to me if I ever have a flat bad enough that I can't just use a plug to repair it.

the puncture was on the side, I am not sure if a plug would do it.

mwalsh said:

the construction crew working there actually had an air compressor installed on their truck. After pumping the air, we could see a cut on the side of the tire. I have never tried plugging myself, can you plug a side cut like that?

mwalsh said:
Nubo said:

Been plugging (only) my own tires for 35 years with only one instance of a repair failing to hold air properly, and that was when I plugged a hole that was pretty close to being obviously too large. While I expected it would eventually need professional attention, it lost air more slowly and did enable me to delay my tire shop visit until a more convenient time.

Obviously YMMV, and what works for me might be something you're not comfortable with.

With the LEAF I do actually have two full size spares on factory rims. I keep one at home and one at the office, and have always had the intention of getting AAA to tow me to whichever is closest (not had to do that yet...touch wood!)

fetv

I think you can only repair tread holes, not sidewall damage. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken but anytime I've had a tyre with damage anywhere close to the sideway they will refuse to repair it.

Correct, plugs are for tread holes. And then, only if it's a puncture hole, and not a big cut.

Although, if the hole in the side were small enough, I'd take a shot at plugging it just to get me home.

For your question of "will they be able to clean it up", I am not sure the answer. But I assume the cleaning would not be easy because the function of the glue would be "really bond".

DuncanCunningham said:
Good points about the cost of using the repair kit and then having to replace the tire (Tyre) anyway. Is it the case that once you use the repair kit your tire is toasted and will need a new one anyway or will they be able to clean it up and repair the tire properly and get you going again on the same tire?

Maybe I should just buy a extra wheel and tire now and have it ready at home, when a puntures happens, I have a replacement that I can run down to the dealership with, or where ever the car is, or I guess I could carry it in the trunk all the time.

Good narration over the video and info screens. I've not been able to watch the full video since I'm at work right now.

Yep, you can't plug (or even safely repair) a sidewall hole or cut, even I'm not that foolhardy - there just isn't enough structure there. I've only even tried it once, as a temporary get-me-home fix, with a small nail hole that was just barely out of tread (the small area where the tread is no longer on the road's surface but before it becomes the sidewall proper).

another important question: how can you prevent a compact spare tire being locked on the Leaf?

fetv: I have successfully done this with a full size wheel so I can't see why it won't work with a compact size wheel: Buy a wheel spacer of the correct hole pattern and thickness. The brake caliper sticks out a lot further on the front than the rear, so if you have a spacer that works on the front it should also work on rear -- or not even be needed (like for my wheel/tire that I keep at home as a spare). Alternately, if the compact wheel you have needs no spacer on the rear, if a flat occurs on the front replace the rear wheel on the same side as the flat with the spare, and then the flat front wheel with the one you removed from the rear.

One further recommendation is to get a large enough lug wrench (preferably a 4-way one in case you need to help someone else some day) that you have tested out and gives you sufficient removal torque, together with a scissors jack that you have also tested out.

I have not had time to try them yet, but based on other threads here about tires, I bought these to keep in the car.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027Z6F3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00544EZQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also bought a used Altima donut spare to keep in the trunk. I just hope that I never need to use them.

I was under pressure to move the car, did not have the time to think more. I don't know if the compact spare would work on the rear (did not test it). I think if we are sure the compact would work on the rear, then we have a cheap solution next time because it is easier to find a compact tire. If the compact does not work for the rear, then it would be more expensive.

MikeD said:
fetv: I have successfully done this with a full size wheel so I can't see why it won't work with a compact size wheel: Buy a wheel spacer of the correct hole pattern and thickness. The brake caliper sticks out a lot further on the front than the rear, so if you have a spacer that works on the front it should also work on rear -- or not even be needed (like for my wheel/tire that I keep at home as a spare). Alternately, if the compact wheel you have needs no spacer on the rear, if a flat occurs on the front replace the rear wheel on the same side as the flat with the spare, and then the flat front wheel with the one you removed from the rear.

One further recommendation is to get a large enough lug wrench (preferably a 4-way one in case you need to help someone else some day) that you have tested out and gives you sufficient removal torque, together with a scissors jack that you have also tested out.

DuncanCunningham said:

Even if you can re use the tire the repair kit will clog up the TPMS sensor, $140 new from Nissan, about $30-40 aftermarket but I've heard bad things about aftermarket and about the same cost used on ebay. If you're looking at getting it fixed ASAP new from Nissan might be the only way to do it quickly without waiting for shipping. I would only use the self sealing kit if I knew that getting it driving right away vs a tow was worth at least $250 to me.

Have you tried your "donut spare" to see if it locks up?

baustin said:
I have not had time to try them yet, but based on other threads here about tires, I bought these to keep in the car.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027Z6F3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00544EZQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also bought a used Altima donut spare to keep in the trunk. I just hope that I never need to use them.

Thank you for pointing out the TPMS sensor issue. Customers should be really informed the pros and cons of various solutions. At least people should know the default solution will add unexpected costs.

[youtube][/youtube]
minispeed said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Even if you can re use the tire the repair kit will clog up the TPMS sensor, $140 new from Nissan, about $30-40 aftermarket but I've heard bad things about aftermarket and about the same cost used on ebay. If you're looking at getting it fixed ASAP new from Nissan might be the only way to do it quickly without waiting for shipping. I would only use the self sealing kit if I knew that getting it driving right away vs a tow was worth at least $250 to me.

I just got it a few days ago, so I have not yet tried it. According to other threads on here, the Altima donut is supposed to have the proper clearance to work.

fetv said:
Have you tried your "donut spare" to see if it locks up?

baustin said:

Back