Disabling the useless *It's cold out" message?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every car that I've purchased in the past 6 years has that message. It's annoying to hear it every time you start the car up for 4-5 months of the year, but I haven't discovered a way to turn it off on any of the cars.

The one where it says "low outside temp" in the vehicle information display above the steering wheel?
Yes, there's a setting to disable that.
Under, settings, alarms in the owner's manual

LeftieBiker said:
I think you can just disable the voice announcements. I have that off in mine, and get a "beep" instead.

That's all I ever got was a beep, utterly useless alarm wtf do they even have it? Seriously can some people NOT tell it is cold out?

Doesn't say any where in my manual how to turn it off, just knowing where to look was enough, so tomorrow we'll see if the car treats me like a retard! And points out the painfully obvious.

It isn't like a one off either on power up, it insists on repeatably telling me that lil nugget of wisdom several dozen times during my 40M drive. You can imagine how annoying it can become!

XeonPony said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think you can just disable the voice announcements. I have that off in mine, and get a "beep" instead.

That's all I ever got was a beep, utterly useless alarm wtf do they even have it? Seriously can some people NOT tell it is cold out?

Doesn't say any where in my manual how to turn it off, just knowing where to look was enough, so tomorrow we'll see if the car treats me like a retard! And points out the painfully obvious.

It isn't like a one off either on power up, it insists on repeatably telling me that lil nugget of wisdom several dozen times during my 40M drive. You can imagine how annoying it can become!

The best I ever figured, was that they wanted to account for people who were driving, say, up a mountain. It may have been plenty warm when you got in the car, but suddenly it's cold enough that there could be ice on the road. So I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. We have enough warnings and laws to protect us from ourselves (legally mandated TPMS and backup cameras are two more examples, but that's another rant). Why not one more?

I'm surprised to hear that you get that warning so many times, though. Perhaps the temperature is oscillating above and below the magical 38F, and it warns you every time it drops below? I tend to only get the warning once, when the car registers that the temperature is below 38F.

The reason for the alarm is to warn of potential for road icing. It goes off at 38F, with the assumption that at the road surface it's usually colder. I think Volvo may have pioneered it. It's a good idea, but it should be optional.

I can see it being useful for people in the Bay area for the two times per year that it gets a little chilly.

But for parts of the world that actually experience winter for months at a time, it's stupid. It's the "boy who cried wolf". It annoys without being helpful.

GetOffYourGas said:
XeonPony said:
LeftieBiker said:

The best I ever figured, was that they wanted to account for people who were driving, say, up a mountain. It may have been plenty warm when you got in the car, but suddenly it's cold enough that there could be ice on the road. So I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. We have enough warnings and laws to protect us from ourselves (legally mandated TPMS and backup cameras are two more examples, but that's another rant). Why not one more?

I'm surprised to hear that you get that warning so many times, though. Perhaps the temperature is oscillating above and below the magical 38F, and it warns you every time it drops below? I tend to only get the warning once, when the car registers that the temperature is below 38F.

Nope consistent temp of 0 to -1c, but it insists on reminding me no mater what! But the change worked! no more annoying beep constently!

garsh said:
I can see it being useful for people in the Bay area for the two times per year that it gets a little chilly.

But for parts of the world that actually experience winter for months at a time, it's stupid. It's the "boy who cried wolf". It annoys without being helpful.

Exactly, here we get down to -60 some times but average is -30.

Back