How to turn on fan, without a huge "guess 'o meter" penalty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycenesbitt

If I turn on the fan, but set the temperature low enough that no heating will be done, the "guess o meter" still gives me the same range penalty as if I set the fan + a 90F temperature.

Is there a way to get fan action, without reducing the guess 'o meter range? This is on a 2011 Leaf SL.

I believe the problem is that with your era Leaf, turning on the climate control activates the heater regardless of temp setting. The car preheats the heating system so it's ready to provide heat. There is an add-on "heater off" switch available, and a search here should reveal the topic for that.

LeftieBiker said:
I believe the problem is that with your era Leaf, turning on the climate control activates the heater regardless of temp setting. The car preheats the heating system so it's ready to provide heat. There is an add-on "heater off" switch available, and a search here should reveal the topic for that.

That's true./ The solution is here;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20446

I installed it and with the switch in 1 it does not preheat and there is no penalty/reduction in range but I do can use the fan. Great solution fot little money. Nice and helpfull person also!

Sjabba said:
LeftieBiker said:

That's true./ The solution is here;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20446

I installed it and with the switch in 1 it does not preheat and there is no penalty/reduction in range but I do can use the fan. Great solution fot little money. Nice and helpfull person also!
+1
I have that too, great solution.

I never bothered with that "heater off" upgrade, but pressing the Mode button until you see the "foot defog" (vent to the feet while defogging the windshield) option helps. Even when the climate control is turned off, if you previously selected "foot defog" mode, then some outside air will be directed against the windshield while the car is moving. Often this can be enough airflow to prevent fogging.

abasile said:
I never bothered with that "heater off" upgrade, but pressing the Mode button until you see the "foot defog" (vent to the feet while defogging the windshield) option helps. Even when the climate control is turned off, if you previously selected "foot defog" mode, then some outside air will be directed against the windshield while the car is moving. Often this can be enough airflow to prevent fogging.

Yeah but you are in California so it doesn't count. You don't have real winters. :)

For those of us east of the Rockies and north of FL there come days when having that switch is a god send.

Heck it even saves me energy / extends my range in the summer time. The Leaf tries to blend hot air with cold to hit a set temp if the air conditioning is close to cutting off. Use the switch and it just cuts off the AC at some point instead of blending heat in with it.

dhanson865 said:
Heck it even saves me energy / extends my range in the summer time. The Leaf tries to blend hot air with cold to hit a set temp if the air conditioning is close to cutting off. Use the switch and it just cuts off the AC at some point instead of blending heat in with it.

This is the "secret sauce". I never thought about doing this until the pre-fab cable/switch solution, and now I leave the heater "off" once winter is over so it can't even attempt to fire up the heater.

dhanson865 said:
Yeah but you are in California so it doesn't count. You don't have real winters. :)
:lol:
Compared to, say, Manitoba, you do have a point. But up here in the mountains (6130' elevation) we certainly have a colder climate than where you live, and usually a good deal more snow. California has an amazing variety of climates!

The "foot defog" trick that I mentioned isn't always enough, especially when it's very cold, but it does help on plenty of occasions.

Could anyone out there in Leaf land advise me as to where I might get a "heater off" switch. It would be wonderful to be able to defog my 2012 Leaf without running the heating system. Also, I'd like to know what's involved in its installation. Thanks. Ian

evheaven said:
Could anyone out there in Leaf land advise me as to where I might get a "heater off" switch. It would be wonderful to be able to defog my 2012 Leaf without running the heating system. Also, I'd like to know what's involved in its installation. Thanks. Ian
I'd strongly suggest getting one. Installation is a snap(watch the youtube video) and the only tool I ended up using was a cordless drill and unibit drill(a regular drill of the correct side would have also worked). I ended up mounting mine in the center counsel area to the right of the car power switch. I've heard some people who don't want to drill a hole in the plastic end up just letting the switch dangle somewhere below the dash. My car is not leased so I wasn't worried and where I mounted it was very inconspicuous and looks very nice anyway.
Note the operation of the switch isn't exactly as I'd expected, but still works. The center position("O") is like things were before the switch was installed, the lower part of the switch("I") is OFF and the upper portion("II") is partial or reduced heat. My feeling is the center position(labeled O) would have been off, "I" would have been low and "II" high but no thats not how the switch works and no way to really change things, you just have to remember.

grandizer52 said:
Need to do this, cause here when you turn on the windshield defogger, the A/C automatically turns on...
The switch is only for heat, to turn the A/C off all you have to do is push the A/C button on all Leafs :)
The '13 and newer Leafs have the heat switch built in but not the '11/'12 Leafs, for those you need the switch to keep the heat off, if the car is calling for heat.

Back