Rear cargo area question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longlivethez

We just got a '16 Leaf and we LOVE IT! It's awesome! However, the only thing I'd change about it is the back seats. I wish they could get out of the way more. There's a TON of space in the back of the car but it's not as usable as it could be since it isn't flat. We have 3 greyhounds that we cart around to adoption events and stuff all the time and, while they fit fine, it'd be a lot better if the back was flat. Has anyone removed the back seats or made a shelf for the back or anything to make it flat (or flatter) behind the front seats?

A number of people have raised up the rear part to make room for a spare tire.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14737

I plan to do that.

Also someone else here just removed the back seats assuming you don't need easily pop them up for people to be in the back.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19625

GerryAZ said:
Nissan offers a cargo organizer accessory that has the top at the same height as the folded seats.

will adding the cargo organizer accessory get in the way of the Bose subwoofer ?

thanks

ucsmfu said:
will adding the cargo organizer accessory get in the way of the Bose subwoofer ?

The cargo organizer is unchanged from when the first Leaf was introduced, so on 2013+ models there is a gap between the strut towers (where the Bose module is mounted) that is not filled in. Another person (with Bose) had mentioned it on another thread that he wished that this gap was filled in.

Below is a pic from Nissan's website. It's partially blocked by the open cover, but you can see the gap:

15TDI_LEAFa009.jpg

RonDawg said:
ucsmfu said:

The cargo organizer is unchanged from when the first Leaf was introduced, so on 2013+ models there is a gap between the strut towers (where the Bose module is mounted) that is not filled in. Another person (with Bose) had mentioned it on another thread that he wished that this gap was filled in.

Below is a pic from Nissan's website. It's partially blocked by the open cover, but you can see the gap:

15TDI_LEAFa009.jpg

awesome, thanks :)

When folding the rear seats down do they come at a even height with the added cargo organizer ?

Thanks

Yes, the height of the folded setbacks and the cargo organizer is even. Despite the gap it makes a nice, flat load floor.

The other benefits of the organizer are handy: wet/messy containment for things like picking up plants from the garden center, out of sight storage for the 120V EVSE trickle cord (even room for some handy extras like a high quality, short heavy gauge extension cord), and hooks to hang grocery bags on.

I really like mine, having used it for a couple weeks now. I did add some soft self adhesive Velcro strips to the outside corners to reduce rubbing on the cargo area trim.

Last tip, if I need to haul something tall in the cargo area that's just too big to sit in the larger bin, I can fold the seat backs down, and then lift the bins up onto the folded seat backs as a temporary spot. Otherwise, if I plan ahead, I can always remove the bins at home.

I have this cargo organizer, and am disappointed with it. I negotiated it as part of buying the car, so instead of the full $200+, I paid half that. But it isn't worth what I paid. The lids are restrained with some straps, but not hinged. If I have anything else back there, I can't get the lids back in place with any reasonable amount of effort. They always end up crooked, with one side slipping down in, and the opposite side poking up. I would recommend that people simply buy heavy duty storage boxes and use those.

I have one of these cargo organizers that I don't use. If someone was local and wanted it you can have it. Free just come get it before I toss it. I'm in Oroville CA.

Back