baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: A hide-a-key method

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:42 am

estomax wrote:I used to have a hide a key in older cars, but how do you lock keys in a leaf? my doors wont lock if i have a key inside and i never take the keys out of my pocket to use the car in the first place. Does the base model need this?

If the battery in the Key Fob gets low enough, or the Fob is placed inside a metal container, it is possible to lock it in the car.

If the 12V car battery is drained, the doors will not unlock and the key is required to open the doors.

I keep the Key Fob in my pocket all the time. When the battery inside the Fob got really low, I did have to pull it out to touch against the Start button to get the car to turn on, until I replaced the battery.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017

Re: A hide-a-key method

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 am

baustin wrote:
estomax wrote:I used to have a hide a key in older cars, but how do you lock keys in a leaf? my doors wont lock if i have a key inside and i never take the keys out of my pocket to use the car in the first place. Does the base model need this?

If the battery in the Key Fob gets low enough, or the Fob is placed inside a metal container, it is possible to lock it in the car.

If the 12V car battery is drained, the doors will not unlock and the key is required to open the doors.

I keep the Key Fob in my pocket all the time. When the battery inside the Fob got really low, I did have to pull it out to touch against the Start button to get the car to turn on, until I replaced the battery.

valid point, i suppose if that sequence of events aligns then you'd need it, or if indeed you lose the fob, then also. but the cars are getting smart enough to not let us do this! surprisingly my mom's rental 2017 ford fusion allowed her to lock the keys in twice in one week (the car locks itself in some wierd sequence of events/timers), where in her 2014 escape she never locked them in. so some car makers are still trying to get this right.
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH, 2/17
32k, 96% SoH, 6/17
37k, 92% SoH, 9/17

Return to “Tips & Tricks”