jkline
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016

Re: Higher PSI for Better Range?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:05 am

When I first got my car I was running around at 30psi. I have since pumped them up to 42. Using LS I didn't see a change in m/kwh and I can't tell the difference in handling. This weekend I'm going to cut back to 36 and see what happens.

Granted I'm used to 3/4 ton Cummins with a very stiff suspension, so I'm not saying I have the final word on this.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 am

i'll add my experience to this. I'm not sensitive enough to notice a better ride or not. I have a 2012 SL and my wife has a 2105 S.

I set my 2012 SL to 44psi and tire wear is normal. My wife wouldn't let me inflate her tyres above the 36 and within 1 yr, and less then 12,000 miles the front's almost needed to be replaced. I did the 'told you so" and she let me raise them to 42psi and I put the fronts on the rears.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap reliable accurate analog tire pressure gauge? I've purchased two different pencil types that had good reviews on Amazon. Each one shows me a different tire pressure with a difference of 3-4 psi. Then I took it to an automatic air pump station with an automatic digital gauge and it showed me a totally different and lower psi. I'm a bit annoyed I can't really tell what my tire pressure really is!

Also, how accurate is the leaf beep alert when it "reaches" it's recommended 36 psi?

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 pm

I just use Leaf spy pro and trust those readings.

RockyNv
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2016

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:37 pm

It all depends on how you have your car loaded. The tires should really be inflated to support how you have the car loaded to maintain a contact patch evenly across the width of the tire. Too low and the center bows up and the edges wear with the sidewall getting hot while too high and the center bows out taking the edges of the tires off the road. In either situation traction, cornering and braking suffer on hard surfaces along with the tire being more prone to road hazard damage, failure from overheating and premature wear.

One test is to drive a wet tire down a dry flat concrete drive and note the contact pattern and if dry in the middle and wet on the edges the pressure is too low but if wet in the middle and dry on the edges the pressure is too high. The goal is to adjust the pressure until the wet pattern is even across the entire width of the tread.

Most tire companies also have an inflation chart for each tire and size combination they manufacture based on loaded weight which you can use after having the vehicle weighed on a 4 corner scale to get the exact loading figures and then inflate to the numbers recommended for the heaviest loaded wheel on each axle. When weighing it a good time to note and deal with any corner of the vehicle that is substantially heavier on one side by redistributing items in the vehicle.

There are multiple acceptable methods to ensure that your tires are properly inflated for the way you have your car loaded that don't involve guess work and waiting to see if a wear issue becomes apparent.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:24 am

jdcbomb wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap reliable accurate analog tire pressure gauge? I've purchased two different pencil types that had good reviews on Amazon. Each one shows me a different tire pressure with a difference of 3-4 psi. Then I took it to an automatic air pump station with an automatic digital gauge and it showed me a totally different and lower psi. I'm a bit annoyed I can't really tell what my tire pressure really is!

Also, how accurate is the leaf beep alert when it "reaches" it's recommended 36 psi?

I don't know if they are still available, but pencil type gauges manufactured by Syracuse Gauge (were available from Snap On and NAPA) were consistent and accurate. I think it has been 10 years since I purchased one. I have 3 that cover different pressure ranges in my garage and one with appropriate range in each vehicle. I also have a couple dial type gauges that are accurate which I purchased from BMW motorcycle dealers, but I would not consider them cheap (nothing that says BMW on it is inexpensive)!

The tire pressure sensors in both of my LEAFs and in my SUV are/were as accurate as any digital or analog gauge that I have. Unfortunately, the batteries in the original sensors in my 2004 SUV are getting weak so the sensors will soon be replaced.

Edited to add: The beep is accurate, but it is programmed for 36 psi which is too low for best handling and tire life.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

kjpowers
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2016

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 am

Went to the dealer last week and the "Inflated" the tires to recommended. PS they did not touch the tires at all. 35 in 35 out did not think anything about it I had 3.9 kwh figured battery degradation caused this. A few days later the low-pressure gauge went off inflated to 41 out of 51 on my car and KWH jumped to 4.1.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:53 am

I had not checked my PSI for a while. I was struggling to get in to the high 4kwhs recently. Checked them and they were down to 36. Back up to 44 and I'm in the low 5kwhs again without trying. Made the effort to drive to work efficiently and was at 6.1 the other day. PSI is very important.

NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

The stock Bridgestone Ecopia tires on our '15 Leaf S have a sidewall max of 51PSI. They have excellent rolling resistance at anything above 42PSI.

The only downside with higher pressures that I think they lose startup traction in the wet.

Sjabba
Delivery Date: 18 Apr 2016

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Are yout talking about the 16 inch 205-55-16 tires?

Return to “Tips & Tricks”