Dashboard rattling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssJay

Just purchased a '13 off lease. It quickly developed a rattle where the dash meets the windshield. Anyone else experience this or see a trend?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2011 that does the same thing. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from and don't want to pay the price to fix it, so I've learned to live with it.

Are you sure it's coming from where you think? I had a similar rattle and kept checking under the dash. Eventually I realized it was coming from underneath the console. I opened up the emergency disconnect door in the back row, started to feel around inside and found that one of the tabs holding some cables had come undone and the cables were flopping around. I ended up getting some thick tape and taping the cable to the interior side and the rattle is gone.

It's definitely coming from where the windshield meets the dash. Like the previous commenter, I've learned to live with it.

My 2013 Leaf also rattles from the dash. I am not sure if it's coming from the speedo are, the radio bezel or the front dash close to the windshield. I only hear it when the radio and A/C if off and driving at slow speeds.

Hey guys, I think I may have found the source in my 2013 Leaf of the Dashboard/windscreen rattle after it has been driving me nuts for a year:

The problem is that the metal of the top of the firewall where it folds over forward and glues to the lower edge of the windscreen is thin, flexible and resonates on rough road surfaces. In particular the little downwards point tab that has the VIN number on it vibrates like a tuning fork in an ash tray full of washers. (There is a plastic inspection hatch beneath the wiper arms in the center of the lower windscreen shroud that can be removed in order to seen the offending tab and read the VIN).

By putting big globs of silicon sealant on the back of it (I'm talking about a cup full), it has helped a lot to reduce the noise. I guess it will work if you put it on the front face but it will obscure the VIN number.

To get good access I had to remove the plastic covers and wind screen wiper arms. Don't forget to clean the dust and grime off of it so that the silicon has a good surface to adhere to. I'm also planning to put that thick black tar like under-body sealer on the firewall behind this tab to further help with the noise.

i will have to look at this, mine rattles from near the charging light area when it is warm out, but not when it is cold.

Well done tripper1000. I had never thought the rattle might be outside! My 2016 Leaf also has a rattle that sounds like it is coming from where the dash meets the windscreen. A little tapping on the plastic cover below the windscreen on the outside made it rattle. So I removed the wiper blades and the complete plastic cover. Need to be gentle on the 4 clips that attach it on the leading edge but it came off fairly easy. Gave the bottom edge of the screen a good clean. I had some 3mm thick x 9mm wide self adhesive sponge seal in the garage so I stuck that along the full length of the bottom of the screen. Then I carefully fitted the cover back over the screen and seal. It's a bit tight but with a push it will fit. Put everything back together and what do you know? The rattle that has been driving me crazy has completely gone. I'm over the moon. Thanks for all the help.

Added caulking between top of VIN plate and fire wall, so far it has worked! I added masking tape to front face of the plate just below the joint, and with gloves on, forced a generous amount into the space between the plate and the fire wall. Removed masking tape and no mess. I checked the rattle by tapping the wind screen and rattle was gone after installing caulk. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Back