IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: Eliminate Foggy Windows Without Impacting Range

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 pm

SageBrush wrote:I just have to convince myself that the water droplets have somewhere to go.

It seems the Rain-X AntiFog is working. Maybe it had to cure. I still get some fog and frost, but I notice that there's now considerably more on the rear window, which I didn't treat with AntiFog. But there is one thing I do get. Water droplets on the inside of the windshield. These leave little water spot marks when they dry.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I just have to convince myself that the water droplets have somewhere to go.

It seems the Rain-X AntiFog is working. Maybe it had to cure. I still get some fog and frost, but I notice that there's now considerably more on the rear window, which I didn't treat with AntiFog. But there is one thing I do get. Water droplets on the inside of the windshield. These leave little water spot marks when they dry.
Interesting -- so the droplets are not heavy enough to fall down the glass.

This water is distilled (evaporated) so it might suggest that the spot you are seeing is from collection of dirt on the glass that is collected by the condensate. Perhaps a glass cleaning once a week will help.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 pm

On the side windows, yes the droplets run down the glass. On the windshield the angle must affect the way the gravity pulls on the droplets. If there's enough moisture the droplets collect and run down the windshield. A quick buffing gets the water marks off. Maybe that's what's helping the AntiFog do its thing, maybe I hadn't buffed enough.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 am

jjeff wrote:If your having bad fog problems and you live in a snowy climate I'd suggest using something like Weathertech or rubber floor mats. Snow getting on the carpet and melting really holds the moisture and then when you heat the interior of the car that moisture gets in the air and condenses on the windows.
I was having bad fogging issues when I first got my Leaf and it turned snowy, after I got the Weathertech floor mats(which I think are kind of overpriced but do work) and regularly wet vac them dry of standing water things are much better. It's my belief why ICE vehicles don't fog as bad is because they have so much more heat available that they are actually able to try out the carpet, not so much with a Leaf where heat is a precious commodity.
I don't know about Fog-X but I know with Rain-X your supposed to let the film dry before wiping it off, when I was using it I let it dry over night and wiped it off in the morning and it would probably be best to do this when it was above freezing although I don't know this for a fact.

As soon as I could get the floor mats off of the floor (they were frozen at first) and hung them up to dry I noticed a big improvement! Thanks!

I wonder if there'd be any merit in fabricating some heated floor mats.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 am

IssacZachary wrote:
jjeff wrote:If your having bad fog problems and you live in a snowy climate I'd suggest using something like Weathertech or rubber floor mats. Snow getting on the carpet and melting really holds the moisture and then when you heat the interior of the car that moisture gets in the air and condenses on the windows.
I was having bad fogging issues when I first got my Leaf and it turned snowy, after I got the Weathertech floor mats(which I think are kind of overpriced but do work) and regularly wet vac them dry of standing water things are much better. It's my belief why ICE vehicles don't fog as bad is because they have so much more heat available that they are actually able to try out the carpet, not so much with a Leaf where heat is a precious commodity.
I don't know about Fog-X but I know with Rain-X your supposed to let the film dry before wiping it off, when I was using it I let it dry over night and wiped it off in the morning and it would probably be best to do this when it was above freezing although I don't know this for a fact.

As soon as I could get the floor mats off of the floor (they were frozen at first) and hung them up to dry I noticed a big improvement! Thanks!

I wonder if there'd be any merit in fabricating some heated floor mats.

The thing is you wouldn't want it on when driving as that would evaporate the moisture in the air, which would in turn condense on the cold windows. No personally I think the best thing is to suck up the water while it's liquid and not let it soak into something like the carpets where it would be much harder to remove. I also took out my Weathertech mats yesterday(60F and sunny, in Feb in MN :shock: now thats wrong!) anyway the carpet was basically dry underneath, was happy to see that.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:15 am

So far this year with RainX inside and out I notice that for the most part both inside and out the windows tend to fog less than other cars, with the exception of the inside of the windshield itself. That seems to fog more actually. I wonder if I reapply RainX interior Anti-Fog to the inside of the windshield it will help. :?:
2013 SL 45,000 miles.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”