Eliminate Foggy Windows Without Impacting Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Haven't tried this yet, but I think I'll get some RainX Interior Glass Anti-Fog solution. That way, I won't have to run the defroster as much.

https://youtu.be/8Vj9avZxuwI

This comes up periodically. Overall people say either minimal or no effect.
Since I live in a dry climate, if it is not too cold I set the fan to bring in dry outside air and direct it towards the windshield.

I just started using the rain-x anti fog this fall. I am a fan of the regular rain-x for the windshield so I thought I would give it a try.

First make sure you windows are clean to start with then the big thing is to USE VERY LITTLE! spray it on a cloth and wipe the window with that, it will seem like nothing, but it will do it's job. The first time I tried it I did one spray on each side window and two on the windshield, big mistake, streaky, greasy looking, I just kept wiping it every day as it would streak up for about a week with a clean dry rag until it was clear again, now for the last two weeks it has been great.

I intend on ordering some rechargeable desiccant packs to put in the car, assuming nobody gets them for me off my Amazon wishlist for Xmas. (For some reason people are reluctant from buying me practical gifts, oh well.)

I really doubt it, turning on any form of recirc is not possible when any form of defrost is selected and if in recirc and you select any form of defrost, recirc goes off, I really doubt that would change by country.

Two thumbs up!

I used it today on half of the rear window, and it worked perfectly. I took a picture, and I'll post it when I get home.

I followed Brock's advice and used very little. I'll let you know how long it lasts, but even if it lasts only one trip, it's worth it to me. It's the difference between turning on the rear defogger and not needing to.

Haven't tried it on the front or side windows yet.

To reduce range impact and foging set the air circulation to front and push the recirculation button once then again and hold the recirculation button down until it flashes 3 or 4 times then stops flashing. With the temperature set at 61 Fahrenheit the heating will take only about .8 kilowatt with outside temperature down to 28, city driving.

Here's the photo:

SBVUHoI.jpg

The photo perhaps exaggerates it a bit, but it's a definite button/no button situation (that is, with that stuff on, you don't need to push the defogger button for the rear window).

There may be a bit of a film left behind. This might be as good for the windshield.

powersurge said:
run your heater (windshield) with a/c off, and on recirculate..
I must be missing something here. The whole point of turning a/c on during defogging and not using recirc is in order to get rid of the high humidity air and moisture which is causing the fogging.

Dooglas said:
powersurge said:
I must be missing something here. The whole point of turning a/c on during defogging and not using recirc is in order to get rid of the high humidity air and moisture which is causing the fogging.

This is correct. If the window is foggy it will defog much quicker with the A/C and heater on at the same time. And you definitely do not want to recirculate damp inside air if you're trying to defog the windows. But if you want to save energy you can try to just set the fan on without heat or A/C. Back in the old days we had these things called "wing windows." You could open them up and aim cold outside air at the windshield. It worked great back then.

The thing about the A/C coming on with me is that I mainly use the defroster to defrost, not defog. This is different since I'm trying to get rid of icy condensation on the inside and outside of the glass. For that reason I need all the heat I can get so I turn off the A/C and just use heat.

IssacZachary said:
Dooglas said:
powersurge said:

This is correct. If the window is foggy it will defog much quicker with the A/C and heater on at the same time. And you definitely do not want to recirculate damp inside air if you're trying to defog the windows. But if you want to save energy you can try to just set the fan on without heat or A/C. Back in the old days we had these things called "wing windows." You could open them up and aim cold outside air at the windshield. It worked great back then.

The thing about the A/C coming on with me is that I mainly use the defroster to defrost, not defog. This is different since I'm trying to get rid of icy condensation on the inside and outside of the glass. For that reason I need all the heat I can get so I turn off the A/C and just use heat.
My guess is the A/C doesn't even come on in the extreme cold, don't know the exact temp but I'd guess even moderate freezing temps would disable the A/C from coming on....

jjef said:
My guess is the A/C doesn't even come on in the extreme cold, don't know the exact temp but I'd guess even moderate freezing temps would disable the A/C from coming on....

You would think so. But the A/C light comes on any time you turn on the defroster. Even one day it was -33°F/-36°C here and it still came on.

IssacZachary said:
jjef said:

You would think so. But the A/C light comes on any time you turn on the defroster. Even one day it was -33°F/-36°C here and it still came on.
No I realize the light comes on, but did the compressor? You might not be able to hear it from inside the car but whenever I've pushed the A/C button in extreme cold the light comes on but if you go outside the car you'll notice the condenser fan isn't running, and I'd assume by this that the actual compressor is also not running but I'm not positive.

Back