Aussie

Re: Possible to Jumpstart through the Cigarette lighter?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 pm

GerryAZ wrote: Therefore, you need to connect a booster battery to the 12-volt battery under the hood.

When I first had to jump the leaf, I thought this was the case. However the Leaf would not respond. Turns out, the positive jumper cable needs to be connected to the +ve terminal but the negative jumper cable must be connected to the leaf ground (not the -ve battery terminal). It threw a code and would not start with the negative connected to the battery -ve, however booted up fine once connected to the leaf ground.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Aussie wrote:
GerryAZ wrote: Therefore, you need to connect a booster battery to the 12-volt battery under the hood.

When I first had to jump the leaf, I thought this was the case. However the Leaf would not respond. Turns out, the positive jumper cable needs to be connected to the +ve terminal but the negative jumper cable must be connected to the leaf ground (not the -ve battery terminal). It threw a code and would not start with the negative connected to the battery -ve, however booted up fine once connected to the leaf ground.

Interesting. The negative battery terminal is connected directly to chassis ground so there should be no difference. I had the 12-volt battery drained once on the 2011 (ELM unit left in OBDII port during out of town trip) and once on the 2015 (possible telematics issue during 5-day out of town trip). Both times, I used my lithium booster pack connected directly to the LEAF 12-volt battery to jump start the cars--no issues either time.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Proper jump-starting procedure says to always connect Ground last, and always to a chassis ground, so it makes sense to just follow that. It's because of the slight but real risk of a hydrogen explosion, and that risk is still present (if small) even with a Leaf.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Aussie

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 am

Interesting. The negative battery terminal is connected directly to chassis ground so there should be no difference. I had the 12-volt battery drained once on the 2011 (ELM unit left in OBDII port during out of town trip) and once on the 2015 (possible telematics issue during 5-day out of town trip). Both times, I used my lithium booster pack connected directly to the LEAF 12-volt battery to jump start the cars--no issues either time.

Gerry[/quote]

It had me baffled too. Connections were definitely good to the battery. No response at all from the car when connected battery to battery...I was about ready to walk away and call Nissan when I decided to check the manual and voila!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”