estomax
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033
Location: Seattle

car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 am

just found out this morning when i noticed a flat tire and a screw that i must have picked up on the way home from work. i filled up the tire and once i hit 36 psi it honked once, and at 40 psi (or 39) it honked twice. pretty neat! didn't know the car does that. this is a 2013 SL

cheers
Marko
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 32k, 96% SoH 6/17
46k, 94% SoH 2/18 52k, 88% SoH 6/18

Rwolf01
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 313943
Location: Palo Alto

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Can anyone verify this? I believe the TPM system draws it's power from the *rotation* of the wheels. I know LeafSpy doesn't update the pressure unless the wheels are turning, so I don't see how this could work....

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9379
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 am

I've seen references to people using the feature to inflate tires, so however it works, it apparently does so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

baustin
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 am

Rwolf01 wrote:Can anyone verify this? I believe the TPM system draws it's power from the *rotation* of the wheels. I know LeafSpy doesn't update the pressure unless the wheels are turning, so I don't see how this could work....


TPMS has a battery in the sensor inside the tire. Some of them only transmit when the wheel is spinning, to extend battery life.

I get the same noise from the horn when inflating my tires. I use a compressor that connects directly to the battery terminals, so I leave the car in Run Mode to keep the battery from draining excessively while inflating the tires.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

garsh
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 am

It's described in the owners manual. For 2012, it's page 5-4.
https://www.gsa.gov/graphics/regions/2012-leaf-owner-manual.pdf#page=239
TPMS with Easy Fill Tire Alert
When tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure warning light illuminates.
This vehicle provides visual and audible signals to help you inflate the tires to the recommended COLD tire pressure.
Vehicle set-up:
    1. Park the vehicle in a safe and level place.
    2. Apply the parking brake and push the P position switch on the selector lever.
    3. Place the power switch in the ON position. Do not place in the READY to drive mode.
Operation:
    1. Add air to the tire.
    2. After a few seconds, the hazard indicators will start flashing.
    3. When the designated pressure is reached, the horn beeps once and the hazard indicators stop flashing.
    4. Perform the above steps for each tire.
  • If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times. To correct the pressure, push the core of the valve stem on the tire briefly to release pressure. When the pressure reaches the designated pressure, the horn beeps once.
  • If the hazard indicator does not flash within approximately 15 seconds after starting to inflate the tire, it indicates that the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not operating.
  • The TPMS will not activate the Easy Fill Tire Alert under the following conditions:
    • If there is interference from an external device or transmitter.
    • The air pressure from the inflation device is not sufficient to inflate the tire such as those using a power socket.
    • If an electrical equipment is being used in or near the vehicle.
    • There is a malfunction in the TPMS system.
    • There is a malfunction in the horn or hazard indicators.
    • If the Easy Fill Tire Alert does not operate due to TPMS interference, move the vehicle about 3 ft (1 m) backward or forward and try again.
If the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not working, use a tire pressure gauge.
2012 Black SV, 7 bars, 100,000 miles

ElectricEddy
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 pm

garsh wrote:It's described in the owners manual. For 2012, it's page 5-4.
https://www.gsa.gov/graphics/regions/2012-leaf-owner-manual.pdf#page=239
TPMS with Easy Fill Tire Alert
When tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure warning light illuminates.
This vehicle provides visual and audible signals to help you inflate the tires to the recommended COLD tire pressure.
Vehicle set-up:
    1. Park the vehicle in a safe and level place.
    2. Apply the parking brake and push the P position switch on the selector lever.
    3. Place the power switch in the ON position. Do not place in the READY to drive mode.
Operation:
    1. Add air to the tire.
    2. After a few seconds, the hazard indicators will start flashing.
    3. When the designated pressure is reached, the horn beeps once and the hazard indicators stop flashing.
    4. Perform the above steps for each tire.
  • If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times. To correct the pressure, push the core of the valve stem on the tire briefly to release pressure. When the pressure reaches the designated pressure, the horn beeps once.
  • If the hazard indicator does not flash within approximately 15 seconds after starting to inflate the tire, it indicates that the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not operating.
  • The TPMS will not activate the Easy Fill Tire Alert under the following conditions:
    • If there is interference from an external device or transmitter.
    • The air pressure from the inflation device is not sufficient to inflate the tire such as those using a power socket.
    • If an electrical equipment is being used in or near the vehicle.
    • There is a malfunction in the TPMS system.
    • There is a malfunction in the horn or hazard indicators.
    • If the Easy Fill Tire Alert does not operate due to TPMS interference, move the vehicle about 3 ft (1 m) backward or forward and try again.
If the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not working, use a tire pressure gauge.

I love the last line.
Leaf spy works great for this and is pretty accurate when compared to gauge.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9518
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 pm

garsh wrote:[*]If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times...


Ha! That's how I know my tires are up to 40psi. The CORRECT inflation for LEAF tires IMHO. :D
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Better to use a proper dial gauge, sensors can be way off at times.

baustin
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I use the double-honk as the indicator when inflating my tires. LeafSpy shows them all withing 1psi of each other, as does the gauge on the air compressor. I used to use the gauge when filling the tires, until I discovered the double-honk. It makes life a little easier, and speeds up the task of filling the tires.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9518
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am

baustin wrote:I use the double-honk as the indicator when inflating my tires. LeafSpy shows them all withing 1psi of each other, as does the gauge on the air compressor. I used to use the gauge when filling the tires, until I discovered the double-honk. It makes life a little easier, and speeds up the task of filling the tires.



Likewise. Actually, according to the compressor from our Volt, three tires are bang-on at 40psi when the car dings and one the car dings at 39.5psi.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”