car honks when inflating, once at 36 psi, double hit at 40 psi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estomax

just found out this morning when i noticed a flat tire and a screw that i must have picked up on the way home from work. i filled up the tire and once i hit 36 psi it honked once, and at 40 psi (or 39) it honked twice. pretty neat! didn't know the car does that. this is a 2013 SL

cheers
Marko

Can anyone verify this? I believe the TPM system draws it's power from the *rotation* of the wheels. I know LeafSpy doesn't update the pressure unless the wheels are turning, so I don't see how this could work....

Rwolf01 said:
Can anyone verify this? I believe the TPM system draws it's power from the *rotation* of the wheels. I know LeafSpy doesn't update the pressure unless the wheels are turning, so I don't see how this could work....

TPMS has a battery in the sensor inside the tire. Some of them only transmit when the wheel is spinning, to extend battery life.

I get the same noise from the horn when inflating my tires. I use a compressor that connects directly to the battery terminals, so I leave the car in Run Mode to keep the battery from draining excessively while inflating the tires.

It's described in the owners manual. For 2012, it's page 5-4.
https://www.gsa.gov/graphics/regions/2012-leaf-owner-manual.pdf#page=239
TPMS with Easy Fill Tire Alert
When tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure warning light illuminates.
This vehicle provides visual and audible signals to help you inflate the tires to the recommended COLD tire pressure.
Vehicle set-up:

• 1. Park the vehicle in a safe and level place.
    2. Apply the parking brake and push the P position switch on the selector lever.
    3. Place the power switch in the ON position. Do not place in the READY to drive mode.
Operation:

• 1. Add air to the tire.
    2. After a few seconds, the hazard indicators will start flashing.
    3. When the designated pressure is reached, the horn beeps once and the hazard indicators stop flashing.
    4. Perform the above steps for each tire.
  • If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times. To correct the pressure, push the core of the valve stem on the tire briefly to release pressure. When the pressure reaches the designated pressure, the horn beeps once.
  • If the hazard indicator does not flash within approximately 15 seconds after starting to inflate the tire, it indicates that the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not operating.
  • The TPMS will not activate the Easy Fill Tire Alert under the following conditions:
    • If there is interference from an external device or transmitter.
    • The air pressure from the inflation device is not sufficient to inflate the tire such as those using a power socket.
    • If an electrical equipment is being used in or near the vehicle.
    • There is a malfunction in the TPMS system.
    • There is a malfunction in the horn or hazard indicators.
    • If the Easy Fill Tire Alert does not operate due to TPMS interference, move the vehicle about 3 ft (1 m) backward or forward and try again.
If the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not working, use a tire pressure gauge.

garsh said:
It's described in the owners manual. For 2012, it's page 5-4.
https://www.gsa.gov/graphics/regions/2012-leaf-owner-manual.pdf#page=239
TPMS with Easy Fill Tire Alert
When tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure warning light illuminates.
This vehicle provides visual and audible signals to help you inflate the tires to the recommended COLD tire pressure.
Vehicle set-up:

• 1. Park the vehicle in a safe and level place.
    2. Apply the parking brake and push the P position switch on the selector lever.
    3. Place the power switch in the ON position. Do not place in the READY to drive mode.
Operation:

• 1. Add air to the tire.
    2. After a few seconds, the hazard indicators will start flashing.
    3. When the designated pressure is reached, the horn beeps once and the hazard indicators stop flashing.
    4. Perform the above steps for each tire.
  • If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times. To correct the pressure, push the core of the valve stem on the tire briefly to release pressure. When the pressure reaches the designated pressure, the horn beeps once.
  • If the hazard indicator does not flash within approximately 15 seconds after starting to inflate the tire, it indicates that the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not operating.
  • The TPMS will not activate the Easy Fill Tire Alert under the following conditions:
    • If there is interference from an external device or transmitter.
    • The air pressure from the inflation device is not sufficient to inflate the tire such as those using a power socket.
    • If an electrical equipment is being used in or near the vehicle.
    • There is a malfunction in the TPMS system.
    • There is a malfunction in the horn or hazard indicators.
    • If the Easy Fill Tire Alert does not operate due to TPMS interference, move the vehicle about 3 ft (1 m) backward or forward and try again.
If the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not working, use a tire pressure gauge.
I love the last line.
Leaf spy works great for this and is pretty accurate when compared to gauge.

I use the double-honk as the indicator when inflating my tires. LeafSpy shows them all withing 1psi of each other, as does the gauge on the air compressor. I used to use the gauge when filling the tires, until I discovered the double-honk. It makes life a little easier, and speeds up the task of filling the tires.

baustin said:
I use the double-honk as the indicator when inflating my tires. LeafSpy shows them all withing 1psi of each other, as does the gauge on the air compressor. I used to use the gauge when filling the tires, until I discovered the double-honk. It makes life a little easier, and speeds up the task of filling the tires.

Likewise. Actually, according to the compressor from our Volt, three tires are bang-on at 40psi when the car dings and one the car dings at 39.5psi.

EVDRIVER said:
Better to use a proper dial gauge, sensors can be way off at times.

Right on, EVDRIVER. The day I'm too lazy to use a tire pressure gauge will be the day I quit driving cars. If Nissan wants to impress potential customers, how about giving us an accurate driving range gauge, or a traction battery temperature management system .

derkraut said:
EVDRIVER said:
Better to use a proper dial gauge, sensors can be way off at times.

Right on, EVDRIVER. The day I'm too lazy to use a tire pressure gauge will be the day I quit driving cars. If Nissan wants to impress potential customers, how about giving us an accurate driving range gauge, or a traction battery temperature management system .
I found range gauge very accurate - it shows projected range based on current average driving conditions. I could assure you there is no accurate gauge that will predict exactly the range as condition could charge any moment, like you take exit or got on high way. Perhaps analyzing Range Chars published on this forum would help to understand and anticipate when you going to get a slack or going to take a hit because of only you know where you going, car could not figure this out, at least not yet in the near future. My average is 6.1miles/KWH.

derkraut said:
If Nissan wants to impress potential customers, how about giving us an accurate driving range gauge, or a traction battery temperature management system .

An accurate driving range gauge would need to read your mind. Which way are you going at the next fork, up the pass or down the valley. Answer needed, as the pass is steep uphill, and the valley is flat to downhill. The range depends on which way you turn.

A passively cooled battery is a better design for a commuting car, especially in cool places. I'd rather have a passively cooled battery.

WetEV said:
derkraut said:
A passively cooled battery is a better design for a commuting car, especially in cool places. I'd rather have a passively cooled battery.
I agree with this as well. And it looks like 40KWH is a bit above the threshold though. Also, folks in hot climate would loose battery capacity rather quickly without BMS. North East and North West seems to be an optimal zone for Leafs.

LeftieBiker said:
North East and North West seems to be an optimal zone for Leafs.

Maybe for pre-2016 Leafs. The later packs degrade pretty fast here as well.
This post makes me feel lucky. Honestly, I did not research in great details Leaf battery vs. model year. I could only confirm my 2015 Leaf has 102% battery capacity after 3 years. Lately I got surprise from range estimator showing 105 miles estimates (took picture just make sure it is not a dream, lol). BTW, I read other post referring to 2015 as the best year for battery chemistry.

Back